cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from WEP to WPA

mpeter
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to migrate from WEP to a more secure wireless environment using the XP's wireless client. I do not have the luxury of using the Cisco client as the client hardware is not in my control.

I am intending to use the 1100 series access points replacing our early AP340's.

The problem I am having is that all my 340's use WEP key 1 as the sending key. When I try to enable WPA on the 1100 series access point it will not allow me to use key 1. I can use key 2 or 3 and amend the client to look at the appropriate key but that would require a visit to all clients.

My question is, is there any way that you can use both WEP and WPA while maintaining key 1 as the send key for WEP.

I know I can get this to work using VLANs but it seams strange that you cannot use key 1 when you enable WPA.

Thanks in advance

Peter

4 Replies 4

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

If you need to use both WPA and WEP simultaneously, you cannot use KEY 1 as you said, this is how it has been designed to work.

I suspected as much but the question has to be why.

Thanks for the reply,

Peter

I'm considering the same migration. Since, encryption and ciphers are enabled on a per-VLAN basis, I'm wondering if I could create two VLAN/SSID mappings, then assign both vlans and SSIDs to the same bridge-group, to put all the WEP and WPA traffic on the same wireless and wired VLANs.

Any thoughts?

zaqtivi
Level 1
Level 1

>>is there any way that you can use both WEP and WPA while maintaining key 1 as the send key for WEP.

<

>>I know I can get this to work using VLANs but it seams strange that you cannot use key 1 when you enable WPA

<

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card