cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Minimum distance between access points

markd
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to locate 2 ap's (1200s) so close that they desense each other? I'm having some performance issues in an area where the 1200s are pretty close to each other.

Thanks for any help on this.

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark,

It is possible to locate AP's so close that they cause each other problems. Here is a link to a good document for the 1200 AP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_tech_note09186a00805190f1.shtml#topic4

Here is an excerpt from the actual doc:

Position the APs Optimally

"The placement of the APs at the correct places is an important factor that accounts in the extension of the coverage area of the AP. Too many APs in the same vicinity can create radio congestion and interference, and reduce the throughput.

A careful site survey can determine the best placement of APs for maximum radio coverage and throughput."

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts...........

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark,

It is possible to locate AP's so close that they cause each other problems. Here is a link to a good document for the 1200 AP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_tech_note09186a00805190f1.shtml#topic4

Here is an excerpt from the actual doc:

Position the APs Optimally

"The placement of the APs at the correct places is an important factor that accounts in the extension of the coverage area of the AP. Too many APs in the same vicinity can create radio congestion and interference, and reduce the throughput.

A careful site survey can determine the best placement of APs for maximum radio coverage and throughput."

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts...........

That confirms my suspicions. The APs are near (within 12") as spec'd by our "consultant" after a pricey site survey. I'm going to move one to the other end of the floor (strange building!)

Thanks

vsnl_chennai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Yes this is correct , that AP's must be placed properly otherwise they would create interferance ..

We can practically demostrate this by using simple software like Netstumbler...

Switch of the power of first AP

See the S/I ratio using Netstumbler for second AP and note it.

Switch the power of second AP and now see the Netstumbler reading .

Now power on both the AP and see the S/I levels ..

You will get the answer

Regards,

Bramnha Prakash

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card