Views
Helpful
Replies

Mix different APs models on the same floor

theophile
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'd like to know if we can encounter problem by mixing different AP models on the same floor; As a client will roam between them and see two different APs capabilities, will he achieve fast and seamless roaming? I mean without disruption especially when using Voice over wifi handset. Is it a best practice to use the same model when doing a deployment?

The floor is already covered with 1600 model and the client wants to have more Aps and we have spare 2600 in our stock. So adding 2600 to 1600 but with same SSID and managed by the same controller.

Thanks a lot for your advices

Theo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It'll work.  Just make sure you don't add APs without CleanAir into the mix.  

Also, you say same floor.  What about the floor above and below?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

There should not be an issue if 1600 and 2600 are operating in mixed architecture, as both have client link 2.0 supporting same wireless standards.

Thanks Salodh. What do you mean by 'mixed architecture' just to be sure?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It'll work.  Just make sure you don't add APs without CleanAir into the mix.  

Also, you say same floor.  What about the floor above and below?

Hello Leo, you're fully right I've to take into account the whole building. To be more precise, there are three floors, the bottom one is covered with 1600, the second one (which is the subject of this post) is partially covered with 1600, and the top one is covered with 2600. The client wants to add some Aps to the second floor and as we have spare 2600 at our headquarters we want to implement this model mixed with the 1600.

So as far as i know, I should be good, as no AP without cleanair in the mix, and all three floors use same APs features. Am I right ;) ?

Cheers

Correct.  They should be fine.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card