cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobile antenna for LMC342.

thetaxi
Level 1
Level 1

I currently use a Cisco AIR-LMC342 PCMCIA and the Cisco "Rabbit ears" antenna to connect to the 802.11b Internet provider in my area. I want to up grade to a better antenna mounted outside the passenger compartment.

Questions:

1. What mobile antenna product would be best?

2. What is the exact designation of connector type I need to connect to the LMC342? (MMCX ??)

3. Is 7 feet of cable length (Including pigtail adaptor) too long?

4. Is it feasible to use my existing Cisco rabbit ears with a longer cable? (I need 6 to 7 feet of cable to do a roof mount on my vehicle)

TNX

-john

2 Replies 2

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

Cushcraft makes an antenna that would give you a good signal (3.5dB) in a low profile package - and there's a special vehicle-mount version.

The antenna has a 12" pigtail with a Female type N connector. The foam backing allows you to drill a small hole in the roof that can be easily sealed.

For any length over 24 inches, you shouldn't even consider using the RG-58 type cable that is typical for MMCX connections. Use a short MMCX to Type N jumper, then RG-8/9913 cable (about 3/8" diameter) to get to the antenna's connector.

If you were to use 7" of RG-58 you would lose too much signal strength.

Other than a roof-mount or whip-style antenna, you might consider an in-window set up. Maxrad has one that sticks to the glass. The shorter coax run would also improve your signal strength.

Antennas are relatively cheap, so it's worth it to pick the right one. We can order for you if you need.

Yes--I would appreciate your help and professional advice in ordering. I will contact you off-forum to arrange an order.

tnx

--john

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card