cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobile IP testing

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I am trying to test Mobile IP in a lab scenario.

X ----ethernet 2620 serial.........serial2620ethernet -----Y

The set up is like this. R1 and R2 are 2 2620s connected by serial link. R1 has ethernet falling in network X. R2 has ethernet falling in network Y. R1 is configured as Home agent, R2 as Foreign agent. R2 has IRDP enabled on ethernet interface.

When the laptop is moved from R1s ethernet to R2, I can see a mobile host route (/32) on the R2s routing table ( M). But the registration between the mobile host and the HA is not happening.

Does the laptop require a Mobile IP client, to contact or register with the HA ?

Anybody who have played with Mobile IP , Please advise

thanks

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
7 Replies 7

joey-lin
Level 1
Level 1

>>Does the laptop require a Mobile IP client, to contact or register with the HA ?

Absolutely.

What I'm curious is that if you don't have a MoIP client on your laptop, how can you see a mobile host route on your router...

I dont have a MoIP client in my laptop....I just have Windows ME running on it.. I dont know if ME has support inbuilt.....

But the mobile host route is coming on the foreign agent, just like LAM.....In LAM, when host moves from one lan to another lan, the foreign router records a mobile route on its routing table.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I see... Do you enable the ip mobile arp command? As you said, the mobile host route should come from LAM. But this is not the command for a mobile ip environment. If you don't enable this command and just turn on the mobile ip and HA/FA services on the router, and a mobile host route generated, it will be a bug that we can report to Cisco for a fixing.....B)

According to what I know, no existing MS OS support Mobile IP natively so far. If you want to continue your testing, you need to get a mobile ip client first. Than if you have other related questions, I can share some of my testing experience with you.

keleung
Level 1
Level 1

First, let's clear up a common confusion between Local Area Mobility

(http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/ioft/lam/tech/index.shtml)

and Mobile IP (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/Tech/mobile/ip).

The configurations are different for the two features.

Mobile IP requires a Mobile Node, FA, and HA. So for your testing, the

laptop needs a Mobile IP client. And you are right that the MN registers

with the HA for notification of MN's whereabouts, the visited network

serviced by the FA.

There are MIP clients for Windows

and Linux OS which are commercially available, as well as freeware for

Linux and FreeBSD.

There is a mobile IP client available from a company called Birdstep as well.

just wondering has anyone done any wireless (802.11b or bluetooth) mobile ip testing. i would like to start one lab testing scenario and appreciate any feedback on an ideal lab topology.

cheers...

I'm currently testing Mobile IP at the moment, in both a single site (multi-floor/VLAN), high availability scenario and a multi-site scenario.

BirdStep Mobile IP (Windows 2K, Pocket PC2002), Cisco Aironet 350, Cat6509 MSFC, CiscoSecure ACS for client LEAP authentication and storage of HA, FA and MN Security Associations.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card