Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Handoff & DHCP

bradleyordner
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have an issue that has only just started in the last couple of days.

I have clients using a Guest Network which has been anchored to another WLC.

The clients associate and authenticate to Access Point/Controller correctly, although the cannot get an IP address.

Some details -

1. The remote WLC is correctly anchored and handing out IP addresses to other sites except the one I am working on.

2. I pushed the WLC to another Anchored WLC and it has a different DHCP server and it still doesn't work.

3. I have disabled WLAN, renabled.

4. I have removed anchor and readded

5. Clients revert to a 169.254 address

Some debugs below -

DHCP Messages -

*apfReceiveTask: Aug 23 09:48:35.456: 24:77:03:4e:b6:78 Invalid MSCB state: ipAddr=169.254.156.19, regType=2, Dhcp required!

*apfReceiveTask: Aug 23 09:48:40.082: 00:24:d7:f1:f6:c0 Invalid MSCB state: ipAddr=169.254.187.240, regType=2, Dhcp required!

Mobility Message -

y: Aug 23 09:40:51.882: 24:77:03:2d:5f:f8 Mobility packet retry: Peer IP: Groupcast, Anchor IP: 0.0.0.0

*apfReceiveTask: Aug 23 09:40:52.880: 24:77:03:2d:5f:f8 0.0.0.0 DHCP_REQD (7) mobility role update request from Unassociated to Local
  Peer = 0.0.0.0, Old Anchor = 0.0.0.0, New Anchor = 10.207.96.226
*apfReceiveTask: Aug 23 09:40:52.880: 24:77:03:2d:5f:f8 Mobility Response: IP 0.0.0.0 code Handoff (1), reason Handoff request timed out (6), PEM State DHCP_REQD, Role Local(1)

WLAN ID     IP Address            Status
-------     ---------------       ------
2           10.216.72.115         Up

GLAN ID     IP Address            Status
-------     ---------------       ------

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well make sure the SSID configurations between the foreign and the and the anchor matches identically except of course the interface. One thing off and it can break it.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried to delete the WLAN and create it again?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

Thanks for Reply Scott. I have checked SSID config and it is identical. I have not removed and re-added WLAN, I might have to try that shortly.

Hi

Do you have DHCP Server Override enabled on the WLAN SSID with the IP address of the DHCP server specifiied

Hi,

No, on all my controllers I do not have Override enabled. I only have the DHCP server underneath the Interface, although because it is anchored to another Controller the DHCP comes from that controller.

All controllers are working except one.

Hi,

What interface is the Guest SSID mapped to: Management or another dynamic interface?

If you mapped to another dynamic interface, that VLAN has to be routed and no IP helper-address is configured on the VLAN.

Also ensure that the DHCP server address is that of the management interface of the Anchor controller, since it is the DHCP server.

I would suggest that as a test, you enable DHCP override on the WLAN (Advanced tab), and put in the management IP address of the Anchor controller.

Finally, ensure that the foreign controller does not have DHCP proxy enabled.

I upgraded to 7.0.22.0 and this has resolved the problem. We have also found our scope getting low on Anchor, so this could have been the cause instead of a bug. Although our anchor is still running 7.0.98

Thanks guys

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card