Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multiple access points and their behavior

When having 2 access points on a LAN what happens when you walk around with a wireless client and it can communicate with both devices. Does it choose which one to communicate with and stay with that one?

Also what happens once you go out of rang on one access point and into the rang of another? Does the connection drop? It is seamless?

4 REPLIES

Re: Multiple access points and their behavior

I setup 2 wireless access points, one of them connected to the LAN, and the other just an RF repeater, and the wireless NIC switched from one access point to the other without dropping the connection. I am using the 350 series, and have had no problems with them. I am sure that the NIC uses the recieve signal level and signal quality to determine which access point to use.

I am curious to know what would happen if the two access points are on different subnets?

What if there is a bridge between the two access points?

I have never tried this so the following is assumptions based on what I have been led to believe. The ap's use cdp to "talk" to each other and these are broacast out. So I would assume in a bridged enviroment that it would work fine. But in a separate subnet I would assume that the aps could not talk to each other and would not have a smooth handoff. But if you lost one ap your card would find the new ap and reassociate (assuming ssids, wep, etc) is set to work on new ap.

terry

From experience, if the coverage of 2 aps are overlapping, then the shift is seamless. The ACU can show the AP the client is connecting to.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content