cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple Clients associated with AP but not passing data

overton_i
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem where there are 60 buses associated to 1 AP.  The bus pulls into the yard and associates with the first AP it see and that is ok.  However, as the bus moves to the end of the yard 300 ft away from the 1st ap it will not associate with the 2nd AP that is about 50ft away.

My question is, if the bus associates with the 1st ap and not the 2nd how much bandwith is the that bus using even if it's not actively passing data.  Is the bandwith dymanic or static?

thanks

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If its not actively passing data then it's not using any bandwidth, but depends on the application that is running. The bandwidth per user is dynamic and it's not hard set per user.

As for your wireless, what AP's are you using, is it autonomous or lightweight and what code are you running. When devices stay connected like that and you know for sure you have good coverage, you might look at disabling some of the lower data rates to allow for the devices to handoff to another AP. Be careful if your devices are old because they tend to require 1mbps or 2mbps. If they are newer devices maybe disabling data rates below 11mbps on the 2.4 and data rates below 12mbps on the 5ghz if your using that. This you will need to tweak.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card