Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple separate WLANs on same site

sleste
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

my company want to move to a new office building. As of today we run our own Cisco WLAN and of course want to move this with us. However, the new site already has WLAN implemented by another company. So my question is: is it possible for us to run our own WLAN on the side of theirs? What complications might occur (interference etc.). Shouldn't it be enough to run on our own channels and SSIDs? If anybody has any input towards my case, I would really appreciate to hear from you. Any references (URLs and such) would also be appreciated.

Thanx in advance!

1 Reply 1

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

Yes it is possible.

You need different SSID's and maintain 2 channel separation between all AP's with overlapping coverage area be they yours or the other companies AP's

I would also add steps to ensure that the clients from the other company can NOT associate to your AP's

LEAP/EAP is the best option for this but it can be done with MAC address filters combined with static WEP and tweaks such as turning off broadcast SSID

I recommend that you read the SAFE whitepaper for full details on this

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_white_paper09186a00800b469f.shtml

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card