cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLANs over a point-to-point bridge connection

rvanderwaal
Level 1
Level 1

I am having problems getting multiple VLANs to carry across a bridged point-to-point link. I have a portable building that has no wired infrastructure and have had to run a wireless bridge link from the portable back to a main building. Also, in the portable, I am running wireless instead of cabling the building.

The setup is:

Switch port Fa0/24 connects to Aironet 1310 Bridge #1 port Fa0.

Aironet 1310 Bridge #1 port Dot0 connects wireless link to Aironet 1310 Brige #2 port Dot0 in portable.

Aironet 1310 Bridge #2 port Fa0 connects to Aironet 1242 Access Point port Fa0 in portable.

My configurations are attached.

Bridge #1 is set as the root bridge, and Bridge #2 is set as the non-root bridge. With these configurations, the native VLAN is carried all the way to the Access Point, and from the campus network I can remote manage (and ping) the access point IP address. The problem is when I attached to either of the wireless networks (SSID wav-b6wc1 or wav-b6wc1-voip) no traffic seems to be passed back to the campus network. ie. I cannot get DHCP, and if I hard-set the IP I cannot ping into the campus network.

Can anyone see what is wrong with my configuration as to why the VLANs wouldn't be working.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

vkapoor5
Level 5
Level 5

The common problem with mulitple VLANs over a wireless network is that the switch VLAN configuration might not be insync with the wireless LAN configuration. All the VLANs that are configured in the network must be enabled and allowed on the switch that connects the wired and wireless network. Check if the switch trunking and VLANs are configured correctly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card