cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple vs. Single BSSID

jcosgrove
Level 1
Level 1

When we were running our network in autonomous with multiple SSID we ran in Single BSSID mode. Since we converted to LWAPP everything seems to be in Multiple BSSID mode.

What are the advantages to running int Multiple BSSID mode?

I have a multi-story building and a high density AP environment. When looking at the wireless with Airmagnet it appears because of the multi BSSID mode that all of the AP's appear multiple times because of the multiple SSID's. Each SSID has it's own BSSID. This tends to multiply the number of AP 'appearences' as it pertains to the wireless clients. Would this effect roam times since the clients need to search more AP mac addresses for their SSID? Would switching to broacast SSID's help the roam times since the clients will not need to probe each BSSID for their SSID?

2 Replies 2

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

Any Wi-Fi certified client device can associate to an access point using multiple BSSIDs.

You can enable multiple BSSIDs on access points that participate in WDS.

To configure multiple BSSIDs, your access points must meet these minimum requirements:

• VLANs must be configured

• Access points must run Cisco IOS Release 12.3(4)JA or later

• Access points must contain an 802.11a or 802.11g radio that supports multiple BSSIDs. To determine whether a radio supports multiple basic SSIDs, enter the show controllers radio_interface command.

Thank you for your response. I understand about running this is an autonomous environment. We converted from the autonomous and we were running in single BSSID mode while using multiple ssid's. When we converted over the LWAPP it seems the LWAPP only runs in multiple BSSID mode so I was trying to see if there were any advantages to this or is it okay to limit the number of MAC addresses by going to single BSSID mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: