Views
Helpful
Replies

N+1 redundancy with 2504-HA

ngtransge
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have question regarding N+1 redundancy with 2504-HA WLC.

Can I use 2504-HA unit for H+1 redundancy? SSO is not needed

I have two wireless network:

• 1.      With WLC 5508 with about 40 AP(1262), all them are A regulatory domain
  • 2.      With WLC 2504, with about 30 Mesh AP(1552), all of them are E regulatory domain

I plan to use two 2504-HA units for backups, one for network with WLC5508 and second for network with WLC2504.

In case N+1 redundancy is management with Prime mandatory ?

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Better to use same model and same software.

Case1: You have 5508WLC

Solution from my side: You must buy a another WLC with HA SKU license(Zero AP license). This wlc can work as N+1 and AP SSO as well as Client SSO but with higher version of code(7.5 or higher).

Case2: You have 2504 WLC

Solution: You must buy a another 2504 HA WLC: AIR-CT2504-HA-K9, that only supports N+1(No AP SSO and NO Client SSO)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide/N1_HA_Overview.html

More info:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1130-ag-series/qa_c67-714540.pdf

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add.... since you have WLC's with different regulatory domains, you should by separate WLC's HA's for each.  Can you use a 2504 HA wlc to backup a 5508 wlc... sure you can, I have a few customers who went that route because of cost... it will work, you just have to remember that there are features that a 5508 can do and the 2504 can't do, like QoS bandwidth limits, etc.  This you will have to look and compare before you make a decision.

In the end, I would get an HA for the 5508 and a HA for the 2504.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes you can, but there are features that a 5508 can do that a 2504 can't do.... If this isn't a limitation to you, then you can use a 2504 HA to backup a 5508 WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Yes, You can take another mode l for N+1. But as scott mentioned many feature will not be avilable with 2540 WLC, so its better to buy 5508. I know 2504 is cheaper but for future prospects 5500 series will be good.

Regards

5 Replies 5

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Better to use same model and same software.

Case1: You have 5508WLC

Solution from my side: You must buy a another WLC with HA SKU license(Zero AP license). This wlc can work as N+1 and AP SSO as well as Client SSO but with higher version of code(7.5 or higher).

Case2: You have 2504 WLC

Solution: You must buy a another 2504 HA WLC: AIR-CT2504-HA-K9, that only supports N+1(No AP SSO and NO Client SSO)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide/N1_HA_Overview.html

More info:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1130-ag-series/qa_c67-714540.pdf

Regards

Hello,

For the first Case, as i know from documentation, for N+1 redundancy it is not mandatory for HA model to be same, as primary ?

So can I take 2504-HA model for existing 5508 redundancy ?

Yes you can, but there are features that a 5508 can do that a 2504 can't do.... If this isn't a limitation to you, then you can use a 2504 HA to backup a 5508 WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Yes, You can take another mode l for N+1. But as scott mentioned many feature will not be avilable with 2540 WLC, so its better to buy 5508. I know 2504 is cheaper but for future prospects 5500 series will be good.

Regards

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add.... since you have WLC's with different regulatory domains, you should by separate WLC's HA's for each.  Can you use a 2504 HA wlc to backup a 5508 wlc... sure you can, I have a few customers who went that route because of cost... it will work, you just have to remember that there are features that a 5508 can do and the 2504 can't do, like QoS bandwidth limits, etc.  This you will have to look and compare before you make a decision.

In the end, I would get an HA for the 5508 and a HA for the 2504.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card