Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

nee help setting up mulit-wap configuration

I'm trying to setup a site with two Aironet 1130AG WAPs. These are being accessed with Acer tablet PCs running Windows XP Tablet 2005. I've tried configuring both WAPs as access points with the same SSID, and I've tried configuring one as a repeater for the other.

In both cases, the tablets correctly pick the nearest WAP when there is a gross difference in signal. But when the difference is more subtle (not really subtle -- Windows reports Low vs Very Good), Windows will not switch to the stronger signal.

Can anybody provide some guidance on how to make the switch occur automatically with less signal difference? Is there a Windows setting I don't know about? Do I need to use some 3rd-party management software (what)? Am I going to have to give each WAP it's own SSID and make users manually switch?

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: nee help setting up mulit-wap configuration

What type of wireless adapters are you using? The roaming decision is a function of your NIC and the drivers you are using. For instance, with Intel (one of the more common wireless nics) in the driver you can specify the roaming aggressiveness. I believe Cisco has a similar option in ACU/ADU. Once you let me know the type of NIC I may be able to offer more specifics.

-Eric

Thanks for the response.

I don't have access to any of the tablets at the moment, but according to Acer's website, these tablets use the Intel? PRO/Wireless 2200BG NIC (part of the Mobile Intel? 915 chipset family).

I've fiddled with the various config options in the driver, but couldn't find anything that looked like it specifically addressed this issue and the other things I changed (can't remember the details right now) didn't seem to make much difference.

Silver

On an intel with the latest drivers you should have an option "Roaming aggressiveness" that will control how what thresholds need to be met before roaming. I do not know the internal workings, but I set mine to lowest aggressiveness to reduce the number of times my client would roam, and it seemed to work fine for what I needed.

Downloaded the drivers and set the various settings...

So far, it seems to be working bettr, altho it's too early to say the problem is "fixed".

Thanks for the pointer!

Views
Helpful
Replies