cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Wireless Access Point with Web-Based Authentication

tgrzelak
Level 1
Level 1

I have a small conference room that has several guests attending events throughout the month. We would like to give these guest wireless access. I would like to run where I issue the guest(s) a username/password for the day. The would boot their laptop, open a browser, be auto-directed to a login page and simply login using the username and address I give them.

What solutions do I have to implement to get this to work?

2 Replies 2

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

It's unfortunately not a simple solution. You'll need to purchase a Cisco Lightweight Controller, which supports Web Authentication. You can use any Cisco access point for this as long as it's in lightweight mode. I'd recommend the 1131AG access point for a conference room.

If you'd like a cheaper solution, simply install an autonomous 1131AG and create a static WPA key that you can hand out to clients. Rather than go through a web page, they'll just be prompted for the password at the time they connect to the network.

The former method gives you far more control and accounting, and it's more convenient for the user, but it's quite a bit more expensive.

Will web auth work at remote sites? I have a Cisco 2125 WLC along with 1131AG AP's. The wlc is at our central office and it manages wo other facilities. We have two vlans 1(untagged)private and vlan2 public.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card