Views
Helpful
Replies

no neighbor, how work tpc and dca ??

Augustgood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In flex-connect local switching releae 7.4, with only one ap (1602), with no neighbor ap. How it work tpc and dca ?

I think that after startup is set to channel 1 to the maximum power, is not looking for a best channel.

Where i can find additional info on dca function (CPCI, NCCF).

Thanks to all

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add. From what I have seen, a brand new AP powered up will typically use channel 11 or 1 with the highest power available. RRM works only when there are at least 3 nearby AP's on the same RF Group. Here are some links also that will explain it.

Q. I have set the Radio Resource Management (RRM) to the default settings on my WLC. However, I cannot find my RRM to automatically adjust the channel and power levels. Why?

A. RRM possibly does not work for any of these reasons

The RRM works only if an AP hears RF signals from at least 3 nearby APs, with a third neighbor that transmits a signal strength greater than -65dbm. If any of these condition fails, the RRM does not work.

The auto RRM feature includes channel adjustment, power adjustment, and coverage hole detection. These features do not work if they are either disabled or the method of assignment is chosen as manual.

While a fresh AP boots up, it initially keeps power at the default value of 1 (highest). When it sees 3 or more APs with power levels greater than -65 dBm (in the same RF-Mobility-Domain and same channel), it attempts RRM first (change channels). If not successful because the channels are manually fixed or there are more APs than channels available, the AP drops its power level.

Refer to Radio Resource Management: Concepts for more information on how RRM works.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008072c759.shtml#concepts

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Nicoles,

How TPC and DCA works, Please go through this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008072c759.shtml

Regards

Hope it helps.

This is a latest RRM document from Cisco specific for 7.4.x release. This may help you as well

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7.4/RRM_DG_74.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add. From what I have seen, a brand new AP powered up will typically use channel 11 or 1 with the highest power available. RRM works only when there are at least 3 nearby AP's on the same RF Group. Here are some links also that will explain it.

Q. I have set the Radio Resource Management (RRM) to the default settings on my WLC. However, I cannot find my RRM to automatically adjust the channel and power levels. Why?

A. RRM possibly does not work for any of these reasons

The RRM works only if an AP hears RF signals from at least 3 nearby APs, with a third neighbor that transmits a signal strength greater than -65dbm. If any of these condition fails, the RRM does not work.

The auto RRM feature includes channel adjustment, power adjustment, and coverage hole detection. These features do not work if they are either disabled or the method of assignment is chosen as manual.

While a fresh AP boots up, it initially keeps power at the default value of 1 (highest). When it sees 3 or more APs with power levels greater than -65 dBm (in the same RF-Mobility-Domain and same channel), it attempts RRM first (change channels). If not successful because the channels are manually fixed or there are more APs than channels available, the AP drops its power level.

Refer to Radio Resource Management: Concepts for more information on how RRM works.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008072c759.shtml#concepts

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card