Views
Helpful
Replies

Number of Users on an AP

amar.patelDD
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Can someone tell me the maximum number of users you can have per AP for the following models:

1602i

2602i

3602i

3702i

Let's assume they are running data only and guest access.

Thanks,

Amar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Amar,

Not an easy question to answer.  The following factors affect the distribution of your wireless signal:

1.  AP model type;

2.  Signal strength;

3.  Channel assignments;

4.  Height of the AP deployed;

5.  Size and shape of the room deployed;

Depends on the above situation.

Cisco recommends no more than 25 clients per WAP.  But this value is subject to "debate" in regards to the type of traffic involved.

If, for instance, the type of traffic is mostly (sporadic) emails, web browsing, etc ... then the value can go up to 35 clients per WAP.  However, if the type of traffic is video then the value is around 8 to 10 clients per WAP.

Reagrds

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Amar,

Not an easy question to answer.  The following factors affect the distribution of your wireless signal:

1.  AP model type;

2.  Signal strength;

3.  Channel assignments;

4.  Height of the AP deployed;

5.  Size and shape of the room deployed;

Depends on the above situation.

Cisco recommends no more than 25 clients per WAP.  But this value is subject to "debate" in regards to the type of traffic involved.

If, for instance, the type of traffic is mostly (sporadic) emails, web browsing, etc ... then the value can go up to 35 clients per WAP.  However, if the type of traffic is video then the value is around 8 to 10 clients per WAP.

Reagrds

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

Hi Sandeep,

Thank you for the reponse, I agree isn't an easy quesiton to answer as there are so many factors to think about.

I'm just thinking on the lines of an standard office environment with 3 meter celing height, multiple channels.

But like you said its a bit tricky to get a definate answer.

Much Appreciated,

Amar

HI Amar,

Normally Rule of thumb is 25 clients per AP as per our experiences.but it depends  upon what kind of traffic you are expecting.

If you are doing nothing but simple HTML, emails, chat, then this figure can go up to 35.  You want to do HD video then think about going down to 8 clients per AP. ***

As per cisco Document: The New Generation of Cisco Aironet Access'

which says that the newer APs can handle up to 200 max clients per radio? but i think this is there product selling trick.

I think if cisco is sayig for 200 clients means some kind of scanner they are talking.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

There is post by Kumnal, he explained:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2240562

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me help you to  make things easier for you. Lets start with 1600. As per datasheet it support 300 Mbps/radio.

Now  we know wireless work on half duplex . 300/2 = 150Mbps. Wifi uses  CSMA/CA so 150 Mbps will be shared by all client connect to AP either  one of radio. Let to be safe assume it is 5Ghz band radio.

Now let discuss average bandwidth contract for different service.

Full HD video - 5 Mbps

Regular Video - 2.5 Mbps

Data (email/web surfing/etc) 1Mbps

Handheld scanner - 10-15 Kbps

Voice - 12-16 Client per AP at max recomended is 8 client

With available 150 Mbps theoratically  with simultaneous access we can have 150/5 = 30 users per AP. Remember  when we plan number of client we always consider best experience for  support services. Example Voice/HD Video/Regular Video .

Similarly  if we have regular video requirement then 150/2.5 = 60 users . At the  same time you also have to remember external factors which may downgrade  available bandwidth contract per user.

When  Cisco document says 200 user at max they may be referring to handheld  scanner type of user where at any moment per user bandwidth requirement  is limited to Kbps.

This  is rule of thumb and applicable to any vendor Access Point. ie You need  to consider couple of things before you commit any bandwidth  availablity to end your user.

- Service type (Voice/HD Video/Regular video/Data/Scanner)

- Radio band (2.4/5Ghz)

- Floor Noise

- Channel utilization

- User density /Behaviour

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card