cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Opening CAPWAP on differentes interfaces

cweissheimer
Level 1
Level 1

Please, I am trying to configure two AP-management interfaces to accept CAPWAP on different ports using the option "Enable Dynamic AP Management". One of them uses public ip address. However, I getting the message "Ignoring discovery request received on non-management interface ..." on this.

The controller is 5508.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Cleber

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Cleber,

Let me give a bit of background on the AP join process, it may help explain this scenario. There are 4 steps in the initial connection setup:

1. Discovery Request sent by AP to WLC

- This discovery request must be sent to the *management* interface on the WLC. Only the management interface currently listens for discovery requests.

2. Discovery Response sent by WLC to AP

- This response indicates the IP addresses of the available AP managers on the WLC. This will likely include the management IP address itself, and also any other interfaces you have set the Dynamic AP Management on.

3. Join Request sent by AP to WLC

- This request is sent to the desired ap management interface, which can be either management or a dynamic AP management interface.

4. Join Response sent by WLC to AP

- Confirmation of initial setup, DTLS tunnel is then created between AP and indicated interface.

So, you can still use multiple AP managers to load balance the capwap  traffic between interfaces/ports. However, the initial discovery request must be received by the management interface, and you need to tell your APs to send the discovery request to the management IP address, through DHCP option 43, DNS, or broadcast forwarding.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion.

-Pat

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

AP discovery and join is handled by mgt interface. Any other interface you create is purely for WLAN traffic and that is if you don't want the mgmt interface to handle WLAN client traffic

Thanks for answering. I think that join is handled by AP management interface and mgmt interface usually is used. But, as the manual says, it´s possible to have more than one interface working as AP management (there is a option in interface configuration that is called "Enable Dynamic AP Management" for it).

So the controller would accept joins through different interfaces (and different ports).

Regards,

Cleber

Cleber

For the 5500, the Management interface acts as AP manager interface by default in conjuction with handling Inter-controller communication and communication with Enterprise services such as AAA. If you want enable other dynamic interfaces as AP manager, which I guess is what you want, then you must disable Dynamic AP Management on the Management interface.

Hi Cleber,

Let me give a bit of background on the AP join process, it may help explain this scenario. There are 4 steps in the initial connection setup:

1. Discovery Request sent by AP to WLC

- This discovery request must be sent to the *management* interface on the WLC. Only the management interface currently listens for discovery requests.

2. Discovery Response sent by WLC to AP

- This response indicates the IP addresses of the available AP managers on the WLC. This will likely include the management IP address itself, and also any other interfaces you have set the Dynamic AP Management on.

3. Join Request sent by AP to WLC

- This request is sent to the desired ap management interface, which can be either management or a dynamic AP management interface.

4. Join Response sent by WLC to AP

- Confirmation of initial setup, DTLS tunnel is then created between AP and indicated interface.

So, you can still use multiple AP managers to load balance the capwap  traffic between interfaces/ports. However, the initial discovery request must be received by the management interface, and you need to tell your APs to send the discovery request to the management IP address, through DHCP option 43, DNS, or broadcast forwarding.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion.

-Pat

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card