Views
Helpful
Replies

Outdoor Installation and Configuration

steelinquisitor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just finished the site survey for my customer's POS devices. Before I started the site survey, I thought I would be doing mesh setup. Now, after the site survey, I realized that can't do mesh because of the hotel's building materials. Now, I have to pull cables from the LAN room to the outdoor APs.

The site is located in Florida and it is near the beach probably 100 or 150 yards away. I know there is going to be some corrossion issue because of the salt in the air.

I asked my POC if they are having issues with corrossion and he said yes. I also found some older indoor Cisco APs that are exposed to the salty air, and the metal mount is covered in rust. Therefore, I want to do this installation the right way since I am not local in Florida. I have no experience with outdoor installation at all.

1. For outdoor install, if I power on an AP using a PoE injector, is the grounding lug to the ground enough to protect the AP and the network devices in the LAN room from lightning?

2. Should I insert a gig fiber-optic to ethernet media converter at the AP side, and plug the AP to power outlet?

[LAN Room]------ethernet-------[media converter]----------1 meter fiber-optic----------[media converter]----------[AP]

3. If I tilt the Cisco 1530i 90 degrees, would I get an omni coverage?

4. If I tilt the Cisco 1530i 90 degrees, can I still use the shield cover to protect the AP from sun heat?

5. Based on your experience, what type of configuration do you do for POS devices (802.1X, PSK, etc)?

6. Is there a stringent security that should be used?

7. For my BOM, I should be good with WLC 2504 with 15 license AP. The APs are 2602i and 1530i. The total AP number is 12.

Link to the previous thread https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4178513#4178513

Tomorrow is my last day here and I have to drive to the next site for the same site survey.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

19 Replies 19

It should, since it does max out 235V... Let me know what they say.  We use them for many outdoor bridging with different vendors.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott,

Do you by any chance know what this is and what it is used for?

It says Cisco Aironet power injector, but I saw two regular gray power injectors in the cabinet next to these.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Those are for older 340's and 350's.... You can try to use them, if you want.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Scott,

It seems like they are closed on weekends, so I have to try to call them again on Monday.

The 1532E has 4 antenna N-connectors. I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. If I have to used single band antennas, I have purchase 4 antennas (two antennas for 2.GHz located at the bottom of the AP and two for 5GHz located at the top of the AP)?

For dual band antenna, I just need to purchase two which both go to the bottom of the AP.

These are the antennas that are compatible with 1532E. The customer doesn't want the AP to be visually seen by their guests; therefore, the APs need to be installed in the hard ceiling. I saw some antennas that are already installed 6 - 7 years ago (see attached pic). So I was thinking I would do the same thing. However, I need to extend the

AIR-ANT2547V-N with a pigtail cables. I am not sure if that is possible or even recommended. I checked all these antennas, but none of omni have pigtails.

I found this pigtail AIR-CAB005LL-N, but not sure if it is compatible with 1532E, AIR-ANT2547V-N antenna, and the AIR-ACC245LA-N= lightning arrestor. Do I need to change one end of the pigtail to female or to male?

Also, if the antenna is directly connected to the AP, do I need to get the lightning arrestor AIR-ACC245LA-N=?

Part Number

Frequency Band

Gain

Type

Required Quantity

AIR-ANT2547VG-N

2.4/5 GHz

4/7 dBi

Omnidirectional

AIR-ANT2547V-N

2.4/5 GHz

4/7 dBi

Omnidirectional

AIR-ANT2588P3M-N=

2.4/5 GHz

8/8 dBi

Directional

AIR-ANT2450V-N

2.4 GHz

5 dBi

Omnidirectional

AIR-ANT2480V-N

2.4 GHz

8 dBi

Omnidirectional

AIR-ANT2413P2M-N=

2.4 GHz

13 dBi

Directional

AIR-ANT5180V-N

5 GHz

8 dBi

Omnidirectional

AIR-ANT5114P2M-N=

5 GHz

14 dBi

Directional

Existing antenna.JPG

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure you also use an outdoor shielded cable with coax seal and have a drip loop.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card