Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Outdoor's 802.11n

I was looking for any suggestions as to how to cover a courtyard next to a building with 802.11n wireless coverage? I was figuring I had to use the 1250 with external antenna's, just not sure which ones are best to use for this application?

Seth

• Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects
1 REPLY

Re: Outdoor's 802.11n

Seth,

I bought some 1250 APs to do more or less the same thing. In my case, I want to have N, but only on the 5 GHz radios, and mesh was not going to give me the dedicated bandwidth per AP that I was looking for.

Transition networks makes a combination media converter/PoE injector that will drive a 1250 with only one power cord and allows me to make a fiber connection to the AP (1 radio only with the 1250). I am looking at an enclosure that will hold the injector and AP, and it will have temperature controlled fans to keep it from overheating. I tested the media converter and it works well. It will drop power to the AP for a couple of seconds if you drop the fiber link. This will allow me to do a hard reset if necessary by dropping the fiber link on the other end.

The 1250 has pretty good range in wide open spaces with the small antennas. I am going to use jumpers cables to

place the antennas on the outside bottom of the case. Hopefully this will work. I have not tested it yet, but I am

optimistic because of other tests I have done with the 1250.

-link to the cases I am looking at, the sun visor option seems like a good idea.

http://www.sparcotech.com/PDG-EnclosureSelector.html

Randy

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.