Helpful
Replies

Outdoor Wifi system

tizianocassone
Level 1
Level 1

Hello i need info about WDS configuration o other cisco feature:

I have n°15 CISCO AIRONET 1310GE, and

n° 5 AIRONET 1142, is possible set all ap to WDS mode?

Only one SSID!

These models of AP have this feature?

TNX

16 Replies 16

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Unfortunately, the 1142 APs cannot run in autonomous mode as of yet. Cisco has delayed the release of the software several times already, but I hear that October is the new date. Without autonomous code, you cannot run WDS.

The 1310G bridges should be able to run WDS, but that's mostly an AP feature. Are you planning to use the 1310Gs as access points? They are primarily used as bridges, which generally doesn't use WDS features.

I hope that helps,

Jeff

tnx for reply.

Yes I need Ap for outdoor in ap feature!

please help me and please show a cisco AP wireless indor model with WDS

Thanks you

The Cisco 1131 and 1242 access points work fine as indoor autonomous APs with WDS features. And again, the 1142s will have autonomous code released eventually, though that may be several months off yet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6087/index.html

ok tnx for the info.

Sorry,but what is autonomous code?

Cisco has lightweight and autonomous code for their APs. Lightweight code is used when you have a wireless controller. For the most part, either type of code will work on all APs. There are a few APs that are only supported in lightweight mode, such as the 1142s (currently).

For WDS services, you need to run autonomous code. However, most benefits of WDS can be obtained using lightweight APs and a controller.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/index.html - Cisco's Wireless homepage, where they have lots of documentation on their products.

In conclusion, with 15 outdoor Aironet 1310GE (AP + WDS mode) and 5 Aironet 1242 Indore (AP + WDS mode) I need an external controller?

For work, with 15 outdoor Aironet 1310GE (AP + WDS mode) and 5 Aironet 1242 Indore (AP + WDS mode) I need an external controller?

ok tnx for the info.

Sorry,but what is autonomous code?

No, sorry for the confusion. Autonomous access points do not require a controller (hence the term 'autonomous'). They run without a controller, and they run the WDS services that you're asking about.

Lightweight access points require a controller and do not use WDS. They are called 'lightweight' because they do not hold their own configuration. They receive their configurations from the controller.

Does that make sense?

Ok tnx for info !

Then I with 15 outdoor Aironet 1310GE (AP + WDS mode) and 5 Aironet 1242 Indore (AP + WDS mode) can run my network in mode ap+wds?

That's correct. All those APs can run WDS. Make sure you order the equipment with autonomous code.

Is there any reason why you're looking to use WDS?

I want to use WDS because I want to have only one SSID in a 200 Mter Area.

sorry but The Cisco 1131 have internal antenna and is ok for indoor?

for - CISCO AIRONET 1310GE where is a product code of omni antenna?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: