Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Outdoor Wireless Mesh 1524 AP Power Question

Hello Group,

I curious, if I have a 1524PS AP that I would like to power from a power pole and the power pole does not have a street light or street light power control on it today but it does have 480V/277V power source, can I still use the power source directly by wiring the 40ft power cable in directly. I would think not, but I am getting a lot of questions about this lately so I am looking here for some help.

From the cisco documentation it says we can use 480V power sources. However, its a bit ambiguous in some places stated that it can be done if you use a street light power tap - is this just a power cord or does it include some sort of transformer as well?

My understanding is that most 480V systems in scenerios like this are 2-phase. However according to the cisco documentation for the 1524 AP you can power the AP via 90-480V power source. I am little nervous to try that here. I know 277V can be dangerous. Will the Cisco AP support cutting the existing power cord (40ft) and wiring it directly into a 277V/480v power source off the light pole? I have been getting conflicting reports from the documentation and others. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Is the AP power supply capable (via a transformer of some sort) of converting direct 277/480V power to something usable via the AP? The 40 ft power cable supplied with the AP looks like its made for 110/240 only so cutting and rewiring it hot into the 277V source could be dangerous correct? 

If someone could give me a definately answer here it would be greatly appreciated. We can't proceed until we figure this out.

Thanks in advance

• Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects
Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.