Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Outdoor Wireless Mesh Design Question

Hi,

We have a wireless mesh network which currently is having some connectivity issues.

One of the main issues we are seeing is with RRM configured the Mesh Access points seem to all select Channel 11 on the 2.4ghz frequency.

I would ike to modify manually, although wondering if best practice is to use RRM or select manually.

Thanks

Brad                  

Everyone's tags (4)
12 REPLIES

Also, the design said AP's should be set to lowest transmit power setting, although they are set to 1. Which i thought was the highest?

Brad:

Of course RRM is better. Manually (even if sometimes give you control over what exact channels to use) are hard to be monitored and managed if there is any RF changes in your APs environment. RRM however changes the channel/power automatically if there is any RF change so your AP adapt for better performance.

I had that on my mesh APs (2.4 GHz manually set) but I could easily put them to automatic via WCS template and they are working fine.

802.11a/n channel/power can not be controlled automatically however.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Thanks Amjad, we are enabling RRM tonight so I am will check in the morning.

I was told the last time they had RRM on all the AP's selected Channel 11, although I will confirm this tomorrow as it doesn't sound right to me.

Re: Outdoor Wireless Mesh Design Question

I had my APs selecting channel 11 by default with power level of 1. I think this is the default setting for the AP.

Good luck with your change.

So an update...and question to Mesh People :-)

I have modifed some of the AP's to select Dynamic Power and CHannel Assignment. I come back a few days later and they have hard set themselves back to the original settings.

Do i need to reboot controller are modifying, or wipe AP settings?

Hey Bradley,

How are you doing?

we'll, APs should not put themselves back automatically to old settings!

What you exactly mean by "set themselves back to the original settings"? do you mean for channel/power settings only? or you found the APs in their default factory setting (AP name, AP role...etc)? I suppose the first part is correct (only channel and power settings) and tha what I will answer.

What radio you set it to use automatic power and channel assignment?

If you modified 802.11a radio, that is not going to work. For outdoor MESH APs the power and channel should be set manually for 802.11a radio.

If you are talking about 2.4 GHz (802.11b/g/) then there could possibly something strange happening because they should not fall to old settings.

How did you modify the settings? manually on the AP? or via WCS/NCS? Are you use that the settings was applied when you applied it first time?

Thanks.

Amjad

Hi Amjad,

Thanks for replying. Yes just modifying the 802.11b/g radios. Although I have about 20 AP's in the Mesh with about 4 RAPS. I modified one RAP and a couple of MAPS just to see what happened.

When i checked today the AP's i modified had gone back to static assignment. I had configured via the controller, selecting Global in both Dynamic Settings and Channel Assignment. After the change the AP's did work dynamically for a couple of days.

What I am going to do is, tomorrow set them all to Dynamic and see what happens.

Also:

We have a WCS.....is there a slight possibility that it's config is mismatched, and may overwrite the controller (automatcially)?

Thanks

BVrad

Hello Bradley,

We'll, if you have WCS then a mismatch would happen with the cnofig template on WCS (if you have one).

There could possibly be an AP template on the WCS to set the radio for the APs automatically.

This is from Configure -> AP Configuration Templates -> Lightwieght AP.

From this location you can configure a template with the AP settings and push it to the APs you want. You can also schedule the time at which the template will be applied. A recurrence also can be configured.

So make sure that:

- No mismatch between WCS and WLCS (you can go to Configure -> Controllers and try to audit differences between WLC and WCS).

- Save your configuraiton on WLC if you apply it from WLC.

- Make sure that there are no AP templates on WCS with recurrence configured.

To avoide any mismatch in the future, I suggest you do all your configuration from WCS. This way you'll save time (if you have more than one WLC) and you'll also make sure configuration is consistent among all controllers.

HTH

Amjad

Cisco Employee

RRM doesn't kick-in, if the AP in question is not seen by 3 or more nearby APs at configured RF threshold. And it is obvious that the G radio selects default channel 11 and power level 1 when it doesn't see required neighbors higher than the RF threshold.

Ok I have modifed all my AP's on the 802.11b/g network to dynamic power and channel. Most of them have selected Channel 11 and power 1.

I need to work out via WCS, if these AP's actually can hear each other or not. I would say not if they are all selecting Channel 11.

I have another question. The Cisco Mesh Network is for outdoor use, is this supposed to provide coverage to indoor areas within the mesh as well? Or is better design to have AP's indoors as well?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Outdoor Wireless Mesh Design Question

It's better to have indoor APs to cover your indoor area.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content