Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping drop and general Failure on wireless

ali.raza0407
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am facing the ping drop and general failure error when I am connected to AP and try to do ping any IP with the ping size is 5500 bytes.Print screen shot is attached for your reference.

Product/Model Number                 : AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9

Regards

Ali Raza

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

From a google search, it depends on the OS and drivers maybe. It sounds like it happens when the NIC is disconnected from the network or the NIC is failing.

Here I would say maybe the ping was sent when the wireless adapter was reconnecting or something ...

Nicolas

===

don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

that's not really a symptom on its own. If you have a busy RF environment then large pings might be dropped (large packets are harder to transmit without collision)

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Okay large ping might be dropped. But can you please explain me the error message "General failure". Why it is showing? Is it normal or not? Troubleshooting to find the reason of this error message?

Regards

Ali Raza

From a google search, it depends on the OS and drivers maybe. It sounds like it happens when the NIC is disconnected from the network or the NIC is failing.

Here I would say maybe the ping was sent when the wireless adapter was reconnecting or something ...

Nicolas

===

Hi Nicolas,

I don't think NIC is disconnecting from the network or NIC is failing. But I can do check the OS and drivers problem. Because currently I am trying to ping from the window vista PC. Now I will try to ping from the Window 7 and than see the results.What do you mean by the wireless adapter reconnecting? Do mean that wireless adapter of PC reconnecting to AP?

Regards

Ali Raza

yes that is what I mean. And you cannot figure out if this is happening or not. Don't rely on the wireless connection icon on windows.

It can be possible that your wireless adapters notices that the RF is busy and there were a few packet drops so it reconnects quickly. It's usually transparent to applications but if you are running a ping at that time ...

In any case, conclusion is : check your RF environment. How many APs around ? a lot of traffic ?

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your reply. I try to do ping with Window 7 PC. And it's are much better than window vista. But still sometime I got a higher amount of ping drop with a packet size of 2000 bytes. Please tell me is there any way to troubleshoot this problem. Steps to know the exact problem. It looks like that problem is due to the Window OS but I want to troubleshoot more.

Regards

Ali Raza

Well, maybe Windows 7 does more retry or handles the wireless NIC better. But in any case, it might be an interference/environemnet busy problem. And for this you just have to troubleshoot your "air" :-)

So it can be anything.

Only a wireless sniffer trace will tell you what is happening exactly, but that requires special tools.

Nicolas

===

Thanks for your reply Nicolas

Regards

Ali Raza

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card