Views
Helpful
Replies

Planning WISM to WISM2

Heiko Kelling
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I hope my english is comprehensible. I have an environment with 2 WISM (4 logical controller) and about 450 APs. Both WISMs have the same configuration. Now I want to migrate the whole thing on 2 WISM-2. I've designed the following scheme and I would like to have confirmed whether this can work this way. The migration should take place during operations, but single APs can fail at short times.

-First, move all the APs on 3 logic controllers, so that one controller is empty

-then update the firmware of the empty controller from version 7.0.116.0 to 7.0.230.0 (bring the WISM-2 on the same version 7.0.230.0, too)

-export the configuration of the empty WISM and import it on the WISM-2

-updating the firmware version of the WISM-2 to the current version (7.2.x.x)

-then change the APs with older version 7.0.116.0 bit by bit from the 3 WISMs to the new WISM-2 with version 7.2.x.x (if it works)

Is that possible, and to recommend, or is there a better alternative for the migration?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only change I would make would be to migrate the APs first. then upgrade the WISM2. That way you can make sure all the AP settle and are working, and yiu can also use the image pre-download to keep the migration time a bit lower.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only change I would make would be to migrate the APs first. then upgrade the WISM2. That way you can make sure all the AP settle and are working, and yiu can also use the image pre-download to keep the migration time a bit lower.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

thank you for the fast answer. I read this in another thread:

Let's also say that both of your controllers are running the latest 7.0.230.0 code.  Ok, so what you now do is load THE SAME 7.0.230.0 to the new WiSM-2 and IMPORT the WiSM-1, Controller 1 code into the new WiSM-2.

Is it necessary to make it with version 7.0.230.0 or is version 7.0.116.0 working,too?

Heiko

You could do 7.0.116.0 and 7.0.230.0. The major release is what really needs to match.

But for consistency I like to have them all on the same code.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Because upgrading the WiSM-2 FUS takes about 20 minutes, I'd be leaving the WAPs with the WiSM-1 and upgrading the WiSM-2 FUS and the firmware to 7.2.110.0.

Once the WiSM-2 upgrades are complete, swing the WAPs across.

Now I know that by doing it this way, the WAPs will go offline because of the software upgrades from the WiSM-2 but I believe it's better this way because it's the same anyway.   Whether you use the orignal method or not, the WAPs will still reboot.

This changes if, say, you the WiSM-2 in the same code level as the WiSM-1.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card