Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Please explain H-REAP central authentication,local switching

Please help me understand H-REAP central authentication,local switching.

For example, the WLC is located at central office and the IP subnets are all 172.16.0.0/16. Subnets at remote office are all 192.168.0.0/16 which include the AP management IP. The wireless users at remote office will get 172.16.xx.xx IPs from WLC via the WAN link. If H-REAP is implemented in this case, how the wireless user (172.16.xx.xx) can talk to the other users(192.168.xx.xx) at the remote office without sending the traffic back to the layer3 interface at central offic first?

Thanks in advance.

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Please explain H-REAP central authentication,local switching

Robert,

With H-REAP you an specify or let's say map a local vlan to your SSID. So instead of tunneling traffic back to the wlc, you dump traffic locally at that remote site. Basically you would create a wireless vlan at the remote site on the 192.168.x.x and map the SSID to that vlan. Also look at it this way, if a user at the remote side wants to print, why have the traffic go back I the wlc and then back to the remote site. H-REAP allows the traffic to stay locally if needed.

Make sense.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Robert,

With H-REAP you an specify or let's say map a local vlan to your SSID. So instead of tunneling traffic back to the wlc, you dump traffic locally at that remote site. Basically you would create a wireless vlan at the remote site on the 192.168.x.x and map the SSID to that vlan. Also look at it this way, if a user at the remote side wants to print, why have the traffic go back I the wlc and then back to the remote site. H-REAP allows the traffic to stay locally if needed.

Make sense.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott for your explanation.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content