cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

plenum rating for antenna

choclateer
Level 1
Level 1

I found the 3502 waps are plenum rated, I found the cable on the antenna are plenum rated, but are the antenna plenum rated?

AIR-ANT5160NP-R?

AIR-ANT2451NV-R?

AIR-ANT2460NP-R?

AIR-ANT25137NP-R?

The installers want to be able to tell the building inspectors the whole assembly is plenum rated.

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well the antenna itself will be installed below the ceiling correct?  Or are you planning on installing them in the plenum space?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Not all of them, some have to be mounted above a fiberglass molded tiles.

Well I don't believe they are, but you can always ask your Cisco rep for a definite answer. Since they don't have that documented, I'm not going to say they are.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Where you will have omni, just go with the 3502i or 3602i, no need to install external antennas.  There are also plenum rated enclosures you can look to use:

http://www.oberonwireless.com/plenum-rated-access-point-enclosures.php

AIR-ANT5160NP-R is a patch and ususally is mounted on a vertical wall
AIR-ANT2451NV-R is an omni and this is mounted below the ceiling grid.  You can just go with a 3502i

AIR-ANT2460NP-R is a patch and ususally is mounted on a vertical wall
AIR-ANT25137NP-R is a stadium antenna used with the 3600p.  This can't go above the ceiling.

-Scott

Thanks, but these are for high concentration areas like large venues - convention and exhibit halls. In these locations the common practice is to use many APs with very small - pico - cell sizes, which you accomplish by aiming a patch antenna straight down at the floor. That way all the APs on the same channel don't see each other's clear-to-send messages and therefor don't shut down when the nearest AP on the same channel tells a client to send a packet. So I need to use patch antennae. Thats also why the Cisco stadium antenna has such a narrow beam width, you want the coverage area to be as small as possible so you can install more APs closer together, then you will have less people on each AP, so that you can serve a greater number of people at full speed.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I understand... But these are also not meant to be mounted above ceiling. How

Would you survey for high density I eventually you are going to be mounting them in a location that it wasn't surveyed. If you have to, then you must, but you need to find out if they are plenum or not, because that will dictate what you will have to do.

Either talk to your Cisco rep or post this in the mobility community forum.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Cisco rep sais all Cisco antennas are plenum rated; AP, cables and antenna

Well thanks for posting your findings.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card