Views
Helpful
Replies

PocketPC Wifi Deployment

lwc_2002
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would like to know if any experts here have deployed 802.11b/g for both laptops and pocketpc.

What's the strategy on both security and authentication approach? I realize that the authentication and encryption methods for PocketPC are weaker than laptops.

I am appreciated if anyone can share his/her experience.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

If you want to deploy PPC on your network, use a client on the PPC. Wireless Feature on PPC are weak at best. Dell PPC come with Funk client. I never had any request on my helpdesk for that combination. Meetinghouse as a client also and it work's well after a hard configuration on HP PPC(disable CCKM).

We tried to make WindowsMobile native client authenticate to ours network for months with low success. User ended up using an open ssid with a vpn connection but it did not handle rooming that good.

You should be able to use WPA/TKIP/PEAP easely

andrew.brazier
Level 4
Level 4

The solution that we've used is to use the Microsoft WLAN PEAP toolkit. This uses IAS as it's RADIUS server and Microsoft Cert Services to generate SSL certs. It also includes scripts to configure all the server side components and instructions on how to do all the other parts and it is very very good. With everything set up and a certificate installed on a PDA (we've used Dell's and HP's with whatever client they have) PEAP authentication works like a charm. You can get the MS toolkit from here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=23481

psion
Level 1
Level 1

We have been deploying PPC with the FUNK supplicant for almost 2 years now without any problems. FUNK handles all types of security and I strongly recommend trying it out.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card