cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

POE from 3524PWR Switch for 1130AG AP?

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

We have a bunch of 1130AG LWAPP access points that we are installing in various locations. Those locations with newer 802.3af switches such as the 3750's and 3560's power the AP's without issue. However we have mixed results plugging them in to older Cisco POE only 3524PWR Switches.

For the most part if we plug the 1130AG's into the 3524PWR's with short patch cords they power the radios up. However, if we connect them to a longer network line (80 to 100 feet) they disable the radios and WCS alarms tell me that the switch could not supply enough power for the radios.

The Quick Start Guide (page 14) shows the 1130AG supporting both Cisco POE and 802.3af power. Is there any way to get these to reliable power up on 3524PWR switches or do I need to use power cords or power injectors?

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I use the 3524s in my home lab. I never seen an issue with cable length, but i never went beyond 12 feet either.

Depnding on your port density you can always get a small or large mid-span to power the APs. I have a few power power dsine units which work very well.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jim,

We had this happen to us due to the same PoE problem. The 1130 requires either IEEE 802.3af power **or needs a setting on the WLC for using power injector or Cisco Pre-Standard PoE. Our older switches could only provide Cisco Pre-Standard PoE so we had to tweak the WLC Power setting for these AP's. Once we did that the Radios came right up. Here is a reference;

You may have to enter the following info in the WLC;

While the AP boots, with its Intelligent Power Management feature, it negotiates with the switch via Cisco Discovery Protocol messages in order to provide the necessary power to the AP. Even though the power injector is connected to the AP, the AP that uses this Intelligent Power Management feature gives priority to the Cisco Discovery Protocol information in order to identify whether or not the switch can provide the power. Therefore, after the Cisco Discovery Protocol message shows that the switch does not provide sufficient power (since it is not an inline power capable switch), the AP disables its radios. At this time, the status LED of the AP turns orange and this error message is recorded:

[ERROR] : AP has not enough in-line power

to enable radio slot 1 In order to overcome this problem, issue the

config ap power injector enable installed

command on the controller that is connected with this AP. This command is available from controller version 3.2.116.21. Ensure that you use the correct version in the controller.

This command specifies that a power injector is used in order to supply sufficient power to the AP.

From this doc;

Cisco Aironet and WLAN Controller Product Power Options

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_tech_note09186a00800946e7.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

We are using WCS for management of our WLan controllers, where in WCS can I find this configuration option for the controllers I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Hi Jim,

Because these are usually "one up" type configs, the setup is done at the WLC level. The only way to do this via the WCS would be to use a special Template for these AP's :)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.1/command/reference/clic1.html#wp3141355

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card