Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Power over Ethernet Support for 802.11a and Dual-Radio AP

I'm trying to understand the options for supplying power over Ethernet to my 1200AP. The following link

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/witc/ao1200ap/prodlit/casap_ds.htm

indicates that the power draw for 802.11a is 8W and for a dual-radio AP is 11W. At the bottom of the link, it implies that the only power over Ethernet option for these configurations is via the single-line power injector. I believe the default power allocated per port on a 6500 in-line power interface card is 7W, which wouldn't be enough for either configuration but can this be tweaked if power to every port of the card and/or switch is not a requirement?

Also, in the Q & A section of the new 3550 switch, it indicates that the power allocated per port will be 15W. This seems like it will then be able to support the dual-radio AP. (?)

Thanks in advance

• Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects
1 REPLY

Re: Power over Ethernet Support for 802.11a and Dual-Radio AP

Yes, an AP1200 with an 802.11a module or dual modules requires more power than any *current* Cisco switch can provide. You can't tweak switch configurations to provide more inline power than the current Cisco implementation.

The inline power 3550 hasn't been released yet - it's planned to supply enough power to the AP1200's (even with dual radios), and it seems Cisco's been hoping the inline power "standard" is defined enough to be included with the new 3550's.

The reason the AP1200 documentation doesn't say "power can be provided by the inline power 3550" is because it's not a released product. I'm sure once it's announced/released, the AP1200 documentation will be updated.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.