cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prevent some access point from using specific channels?

naorelkayam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a building on campus which have a microphones system that use channel 1 for operation.

Can I configure the access points there to use DCA on a different scope than the rest of my campus?

I have two 5760 controllers running the latest version and 1142/3602/3702 access points.

I also have Prime Infrastructure configured, if it helps...

Thanks!!

Naor.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3600 and 3700 AP support CleanAir so they can detect the channel interference and avoid it.  If you have 1140 there, I'd recommend you either relocate and/or replace it with an AP that can support CleanAir.  

The reason is because you want to keep channel avoidance "automatic".  You don't want the added management overhead of playing with channels that could potentially affect 802.11 b/g in a particular area.

View solution in original post

If Ill replace them with 3700 ap it will avoid it automatically?

Short answer, YES.  

Long answer, it will DEPEND on the signal strength of the interference.   CleanAir AP listens for the interference.  If the signal of the interference is strong enough, then each individual AP will go like, "Hey, I've got an interference here and I'm on channel 1.  I can hear someone close operating at 6 but I don't hear anyone near in 11.  I am going to change to 11."

If the AP don't hear any interference then the AP will NOT change the channel.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3600 and 3700 AP support CleanAir so they can detect the channel interference and avoid it.  If you have 1140 there, I'd recommend you either relocate and/or replace it with an AP that can support CleanAir.  

The reason is because you want to keep channel avoidance "automatic".  You don't want the added management overhead of playing with channels that could potentially affect 802.11 b/g in a particular area.

You are right, in that building I do have 1142 AP's... If Ill replace them with 3700 ap it will avoid it automatically?

If Ill replace them with 3700 ap it will avoid it automatically?

Short answer, YES.  

Long answer, it will DEPEND on the signal strength of the interference.   CleanAir AP listens for the interference.  If the signal of the interference is strong enough, then each individual AP will go like, "Hey, I've got an interference here and I'm on channel 1.  I can hear someone close operating at 6 but I don't hear anyone near in 11.  I am going to change to 11."

If the AP don't hear any interference then the AP will NOT change the channel.  

Hi,

thanks for the elaborated explanation.

that will fix the problem, but i want to be more 'in control'.

is there no way to use several RF profiles and which APs will use each profile?

thanks!

is there no way to use several RF profiles and which APs will use each profile?

Since you can only use one RF Profiles per AP Group, you could potentially use multiple AP Groups. 

I don't think you want to be "in control" when you are dealing with 802.11b radios because there are only three non-overlapping channels to choose from.  Disabling one channel will mean your usable channel with 802.11b drops dangerously to two.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card