cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Internet Connection with WLC2504

Jason Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.  Suddenly we've experienced extremly slow internet connection speeds via our Cisco WLC2504 deployment.  From various speedtest sites latency is relatively low/normal (13-15Ms) but download and upload speeds only .9 - .8 Mbps respectively.  We have not had any changes on our network interfaces between AP's (AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9's) and various Cisco edge switches or our WLC.  Not sure where to get any clues on where this problem could have sprouted from.                 

37 Replies 37

HI jason,

I faced the same issue 1 week before that guest internet access was very slow  and iNternal wireless access for corporate users was working perfectly but not for guest.

Reason: was that a hub was there in between Firewall and DSL router.

So Once I removed this HUB and directly connect to Firewall everything works. So may be You can check the connection.

WE are not aware about your topology. It would be clear for everyone if you paste roughly diagramm and paste here so that we can find out the root cause.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

I will post a rudimentary diagram in a little bit.  Our WLC is basically connected to a 4506-E switch that is routed out to a VX series router along with the rest of our traffic.  There is more to it but that is ultimately our route "out".  What I noticed if I connected my test laptop to an available port on the 4506-e switch that the WLC is conencted to and performed a internet test, connection was fine.  As soon as I disconnected from the hard line and went wireless, again presuming everything is the same between the wireless controller and the 4506-e it is connected to, internet was poor.  Everything is leading back to WLC but again not sure where to start troubleshooting from there (WLC) since nothing has changed.

Check the port setting on WLC(Controller > Ports) as well as on switch where WLC is connected.

It must be full duplex and speed 100.

Regards

wlc_switch_ports.jpg wlc ports.jpg
Ports on WLC are set to auto both on it and on the 4506-e series switch it is connected to.  Switch ports of course on top.

These setting looks correct.....You have to further go down and narrow down the issue.

Paste the topology and then we can chekc it.

Reagrds

Below are the interface ports configs that correspond to the ports on the WLC from the 4506-e. 

wlc_switch_mgmtport.jpgwlc_switch_wirelessap_port.jpgwlc_switch_SSID_trunk.jpg

HI Jason,

Can you remove the swicthport access vlan14 and 25  from port 4/1 and 4/2 and use this command instead:

Config t

Int gig4/1

switchport trunk native vlan 14 or switchport trunk allowed vlan 14

Config t

Int gig4/2

switchport trunk native vlan 25 or  switchport trunk allowed vlan 25

Then test the connection again and let me know.

Reagrds

Made change to switchport trunk native vlan 14 and 25 respectively and still no change on wireless client

Is these vlan 14 and 25 are native ???? If not then use the other command(switchport trunk allowed vlan 14 and switchport trunk allowed vlan 25).

Connect any other client and test the speed with iperf.

I am sure that will rsolve ur issue.

Reagrds

For the most part.  I will make my other laptop wireless and make on and the other a server and run iperf between the two.  Would the port fast settings have anything to do with it?  Remember we were operating efficiently until two days ago. 

iper_wireless_to_wireless.jpg
This is a screenshot from the wireless client (IP: 10.50.42.60) to a wireless "server" (IP: 10.50.42.64).

Here is a screencap of a iperf from a wireless client (10.50.42.60) to a hardwired client (10.50.42.53)

iper_wireless_hardwired.jpg

HI Jason,

Can you check with speedtest.net on client ?

And then tell me if this spped is ok or not?

If still problem persists then paste the topolog of WLAN.

Regards

Wireless Network Diagram Rev 020614.jpg           

Speed is still below 1Mbps both down and up.  LAN clients are rletively light years away with down and up around 80+ Mbps!

As promised, attached is a basic layout of our edge network, very basic. 

Also seeing a few of these pop up on WLC log:

Warning: AP with Base Radio MAC has found its IP Address being used by a machine with MAC Address .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card