Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with associating with SSIDs using non-native VLANs

IT2008Hjelm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have bought 2 Aironet 1300 that I intend to use as root-bridge and nonroot-bridge to a remote location. The plan is to have a trunk with 3-4 vlans.

From what I have understood the way to do trunking on these is to set up 1 vlan to 1 ssid, up to a total of 16 vlans/SSIDs.

I have now set up 2 vlans with one SSID each, with WEP encryption, and open/mac auth. 1 vlan is native.

And now to the problem. If I have both SSIDs, the nonroot bridge wont associate, getting the error: "Interface Dot11Radio0, cannot associate: Rcvd response from xxxx.xxxx.xxxx". If I remove the SSID with the native vlan, I get the same error. If I remove the ssid with the nonnative vlan (keep the ssid with the native vlan) they associate just fine.

So the question I am stuck on, is why wont it associate when i use SSIDs with non native vlans?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I have come across this problem once before, you have to set one of the SSID's as the infrastructure SSID - this is the SSID that the AP's will associate over.

Try setting one of them to the infrastrucuture SSID.

"nfrastructure-ssid [optional]

(Optional) Designate the SSID as the SSID that other access points and workgroup bridges use to associate to this access point. If you do not designate an SSID as the infrastructure SSID, infrastructure devices can associate to the access point using any SSID. If you designate an SSID as the infrastructure SSID, infrastructure devices must associate to the access point using that SSID unless you also enter the optional keyword. " taken from:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_15_JA/configuration/guide/s15ssid.html

HTH.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I have come across this problem once before, you have to set one of the SSID's as the infrastructure SSID - this is the SSID that the AP's will associate over.

Try setting one of them to the infrastrucuture SSID.

"nfrastructure-ssid [optional]

(Optional) Designate the SSID as the SSID that other access points and workgroup bridges use to associate to this access point. If you do not designate an SSID as the infrastructure SSID, infrastructure devices can associate to the access point using any SSID. If you designate an SSID as the infrastructure SSID, infrastructure devices must associate to the access point using that SSID unless you also enter the optional keyword. " taken from:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_15_JA/configuration/guide/s15ssid.html

HTH.

That was it. Thx alot for the help.

No problem - glad to help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card