Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS on the AP

Flitzouille
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm using 2 AP to configure a bridge between the main network and a remote switch. The bridge is working well. There are 2 flows : ip voice and data.

The voice traffic has QoS implemented. Indeed, the DSCP field indicates that de class is EF (expedited forwarding). My question is very simple : "does the AP apply a treatment on the voice flow automaticaly even if no QoS policy is defined on the AP ? (because the traffic is already tagged) "

I thank you all in advance for your answers

3 Replies 3

pnegi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

QoS on AP is subset of IEEE 802.11E draft. It is very important to note that "QoS on AP will handle only radio downstream" and the radio downstream flow is traffic transmitted out the access point radio to a wireless client device. In this case, your AP is connected to switch, through ethernet port and it will get the priortized traffic from Switch. So it will get that traffic from switch and forward it to clients. But the same will not be applicable for the traffic generated from clients, back to this AP. I hope that will clear some ambiguity about QoS on AP.

Hi,

thanks for your answer. mmmh I think I did ask my question not clearly ;-).

I explain my case. I have two AP connecting a remote switch to the main network. The two AP implement thus a bridge.

In the Web interface I see that it is a QoS menu. But with or without QoS the IP phone communication between the two remote network are not perturbed even if I generate a lot of data traffic (with Iperf + download a very large file for example).

The voip traffic is already taged with "Expedited forwarding flag". My question is to know if the AP's of my bridge treat the voip traffic as the first priority even if I don't configure any QoS policies.

Thank's for your answer :-)

Hi,

If you won't put QoS policies, then bridges won't provide any priority to your voip traffic.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card