Views
Helpful
Replies

Query regarding Mobility configuration

Shahab Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have some queries regarding mobility configuration. I have to two WLC's; one Cisco 5508 & another Cisco 4402. My queries are:

1. I have configured both the WLC's in same Mobility domain & same Mobility group but with different Management IP segment. Will they be considered within the same mobility group or they will work as if they are the part of different mobility group?

2. Currently I have 100 AP license on WLC 5508 & 50 AP license on 4402. I am having more than 50 AP's in  my network & all are registered with WLC 5508 since it is the primary. I want only selected 50 AP's to register with WLC 4402 in case WLC 5508 goes down. Is there any way I can achieve this?

Regards,

Shahab

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. I have configured both the WLC's in same Mobility domain & same Mobility group but with different Management IP segment. Will they be considered within the same mobility group or they will work as if they are the part of different mobility group?

Yes... As long as there is connectivity between the two WLC and the ports udp 16666 and IP97, the mobility should be up.

2. Currently I have 100 AP license on WLC 5508 & 50 AP license on 4402. I am having more than 50 AP's in my network & all are registered with WLC 5508 since it is the primary. I want only selected 50 AP's to register with WLC 4402 in case WLC 5508 goes down. Is there any way I can achieve this?

Depending on the code in the WLC, you can set the priority to the AP in the high availability. So the 50 AP's you can set them higher than the other 5.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Since all your APs are registered to one controller, any roaming will be Layer 2, hence no change in IP address of the client. If you want certain APs to fail over to from the 5508 to the 4402, then you can specify the 4402 controller name and IP address as Secondary controller on the designated APs of your choice.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes... As long as there is connectivity between the two WLC and the ports udp 16666 and IP97, the mobility should be up.

2. Currently I have 100 AP license on WLC 5508 & 50 AP license on 4402. I am having more than 50 AP's in my network & all are registered with WLC 5508 since it is the primary. I want only selected 50 AP's to register with WLC 4402 in case WLC 5508 goes down. Is there any way I can achieve this?

Depending on the code in the WLC, you can set the priority to the AP in the high availability. So the 50 AP's you can set them higher than the other 5.

-Scott

Scott you gave a nice explanation.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is an image... On this AP I have the priority set to low.

-Scott

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Since all your APs are registered to one controller, any roaming will be Layer 2, hence no change in IP address of the client. If you want certain APs to fail over to from the 5508 to the 4402, then you can specify the 4402 controller name and IP address as Secondary controller on the designated APs of your choice.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card