cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding Flexconnect WAN requirements

mike.sprinkle
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco states in the Flexconnect deployment guide that the minimum bandwidth required for a 5 AP deployment is 128k. Is this the total bandwidth or the amount of bandwidth that must be alocated for control traffic? This is not discussed in any detail but seems an important point when planning to deploy the product.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It may seem chatty, but it's less than some other protocols, MSN,ICQ, netbios etc.

but that is why there is a minimum link requirement for FlexConnect AP.  My number may be off, I'm pulling that from memory of a document I read years ago.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well it depends on what you are doing. FlexConnect uses something like 32k per AP for control traffic, IIRC. If you keep the Guest Centrally switched you'll push more than that.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so what your saying is that each AP will consistantly consume approximately 32k of bandwidth just for controll traffic? Seems chatty for a device that's supposed to be deployed at a remote site where bandwidth is at a premium. I plan to locally switching everything but guest traffic.

It may seem chatty, but it's less than some other protocols, MSN,ICQ, netbios etc.

but that is why there is a minimum link requirement for FlexConnect AP.  My number may be off, I'm pulling that from memory of a document I read years ago.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card