Views
Helpful
Replies

Question to Mobility Groups on WLC 4402

h.bechtel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I?m running two WLC 4402 with software version 4.0.155.0 which control 20 AIR-AP1242AG access points.

I configured on both WLCs the same mobility group and added the other WLC with IP and MAC address.

After that I configured every AP with a primary and secondary controller (sysName).

Fail-over and fall-back seem to work.

Is there any function that synchronizes the configuration of both controllers (e.g. WLANs, LocalNetUsers) and are there any useful commands (CLI) to check if the controllers "know" about the Mobility Group and the members?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Matthew Gasparro
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Controllers use three functions to create mobility groups:

1) Virtual IP address (has to be the same on all the controllers you want to share in the mobility group)

2) Mobility Group Name (has to be the same on all the controllers you want to share in the mobility group)

3) Adding the IP address and MAC address of all the controllers to each other that are going to share mobility information.

As stated the "show mobility summary" will show all the controllers configured in the mobility group, but there is no current function to check the state of the mobility grouping.

The mobility group information is extremely important if you want APs to failover deterministically or dynamically between controllers in a cluster.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

There is no configuration syncronization per se. If you have WCS software, you can configure templates and push them to both controllers at the same time.

As for command line options, you can run

show mobility summary

to see what controllers are configured in the mobility group.

-Eric

Hi!

First of all thanks for your reply!

If there is no syncronization of the configs and with WCS I can only push templates to the WLCs there is no way to create LocalNetUsers (via LobbyAdmin) that are known on all WLCs in the Mobility Group? Then I would have to use RADIUS for centralized Web-Auth which makes the LobbyAdmin role useless. Is that right or do I miss anything?

The output of the "show mobility summary" tells me which controllers are configured in the Mobility Group like on the Web-Interface. But it does not show "if it works", e.g. are the WLCs connected/associated. The Mobility Group feature is like a Black Box for me and I would like to see if and how it works...

Does anyone know other commands to have a deeper look on this functions?

Kind regards,

Hagen

Hi,

You may use these commands to run mobility ping tests using the controller CLI.

1. To test the mobility UDP control packet communication between two controllers, enter this command:

mping

2. To test the mobility EoIP data packet communication between two controllers, enter this command:

eping

3. To troubleshoot your controller for mobility ping over UDP, enter this command to display the mobility control packet:

debug mobility handoff enable

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two WLC 4402-12 running software version 4.0.155.5 in the same Mobility Group. The LWAPP transport mode is L3. Both WLCs are connected to the same subnets on the wired LAN; thus L2 inter-controller roaming.

All the APs are configured with a primary and secondary controller. AP Fallback is enabled on both WLCs.

When one of the WLCs is shutdown, its joined APs took around 40 seconds to successfully join to their secondary controller. When the original WLC is back online, the APs took around 20 seconds to fallback.

Is this normal? I understand the AP sends LWAPP heartbeat to its primary controller every 30 seconds. Is this timer tunable? Is it recommended to lower its value so as to speed up the failover of APs?

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

Matthew Gasparro
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Controllers use three functions to create mobility groups:

1) Virtual IP address (has to be the same on all the controllers you want to share in the mobility group)

2) Mobility Group Name (has to be the same on all the controllers you want to share in the mobility group)

3) Adding the IP address and MAC address of all the controllers to each other that are going to share mobility information.

As stated the "show mobility summary" will show all the controllers configured in the mobility group, but there is no current function to check the state of the mobility grouping.

The mobility group information is extremely important if you want APs to failover deterministically or dynamically between controllers in a cluster.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: