Views
Helpful
Replies

Radio Link in WAN

kallol
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Let me explain the secinario first. I have a Central Office and 5 branches within 30KM which I want to conncet. Central Office is in the middle of it. What would be the best solution for it.

Tks

Kallol

3 Replies 3

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

I can't tell if all of your recent questions are on the same topic, but there's one fundamental thing you should know - the curvature of the earth will interrupt the path of your wireless signal at 17 miles even on an open plain.

cketan
Level 1
Level 1

This can be easily achieved with commercial spread spectrum wireless as they can easily cover upto 35 Kms easily. I would recommend to use 5 nos. point to point radio links( 5 pairs ) in a star topology operating from the Central Office. Each link can be 64 - 2048 Kbps. You will need a 5 port router at central office and a single port router at each branch office. I would not recommend the option to use point to multipoint radio routers because the omni or sectoral antenna at the central site would be prone to RF interference apart from link budget issues. Aprt from that TDD based radio links ( point to point ) are more robust and reliable than CSMA based radio links ( point to multipoint ).

Check with the FCC of your country for 2.4GHz radio licensing issues. In most countries, 2.4GHz popularly known as S-band is freely allowed for commercial communications. Last company where I worked, we had setup more than 50 such networks for various customers and the longest radio link was 38 KMs.

This project is very well feasible. Good luck.

Regards...Ketan Chaudhari, CCSA, CCNP, MCSE

b.willett
Level 1
Level 1

To put together a solution for this you first need to ask yourself several questions;

Do I have a clear line of sight from each office to my central office? (if your answer is no, then do any of your remote offices have a clear line of sight to each other and if so what distances are they appart?)

If you can answer yes to any of the above questions then you have the ability to put a Wireless Biridges solution together.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card