Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

'Rapid Roaming' problem?

I have 802.11a implemented in a warehouse environment. 4 AP's total. about 25 clients. Unfortunately the equipment is not cisco but I'm looking for 'general' info that should apply to all 802.11a and I'm sure there are plenty of knowlegable people in this group.

I am wondering if 'rapid roaming' is a problem? I have 3 clients that are laptops on forklifts that are constantly moving between the 4 AP's. They intermittantly lose connectivity, my whole network is experiencing slow downs, our access databases in constantly being corrupted. Right now I don't know if its the access points themselves, the switches, or that access just stinks (database is temporarily in access.. will move to SQLserver)

Is there a problem at layer2 here? switch not updating mac tables fast enough? AP's not updating fast enough? What kind of network errors should I be looking for to verify any of this? What options would I generally find in an AP that could optimize rapid roaming?

any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: 'Rapid Roaming' problem?

" Long live DIsco..You should have bought Cisco"

Sorry..I couldn't resists....and I couldn't find too many words that rhymed with Cisco...Crisco and Frisco were about it

And now of course you are totally pissed and probably will never buy Cisco with crap like this being posted! :) Sorry I couldn't help but I am sure one of the wireless gurus here will chime in.

I fully expected that... and of course your right. I won't even tell you what brand I actually got... budget restrictions.

anyone else on the original topic though?

Are the forklift operators running an application that accesses the database?

If so, your problem could be that your equipment is not handing off session information between APs over the backbone. The standard doesn't dictate the passing of existing session information between APs over the Ethernet link.

In addition to this concern, cell size and placement is another concern. You need to have sufficient overlap between cells for the mobile device to roam between cells. This of course would imply that you have devices that can send session state information over the backbone between APs when the client device roams between cells.

Send me an e-mail outlining what equipment you have and how it is setup if you would like some further assistance. btillery@mdgi.com

Views
Helpful
Replies