cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate limiting on Aironet 1242AG series

siva.yella
Level 1
Level 1

This is software version on my AP. c1240-k9w7-mx.123-8.JEA. Incoming packets have DSCP set. so i can apply Cos based on DSCP and prioritise.

I want to rate limit a specific Cos traffic. how i can do that on AP 1242AG ?

Also how to rate limit per user for a specific CoS?

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure QoS on the 1242AG, but your infrastructure switches and L3 is the one that will need to be setup to keep the QoS markings and your L3 can do the rest.  How to do per user and per COS.... don't think that can be done without a lot of headache.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Scott.  It's a lot of headache it's just not worth it.  Can you explain what you are trying to achieve?

Yes, infrastructure switch mark two different application traffic with DSCP X and DSCP Y.

I want to prioritize DSCP X traffic over DSCP Y traffic

I want to reserve 30% of AP wifi side bandwidth to DSCP X traffic.

I want to rate limit per user DSCP Y download traffic(AP wifi side) to let say 1Mbps.

can you please explain what is the headache... or what are the configurations need to done either through CLI or web interface?

Thanks

Siva Yella.

Can you configure the rate limiting on the switch?

You can't do that on the AP... the only thing you can do on the AP is QoS markings... take a look at the link I posted.  Whats a headache about it is how are you going to determine what user... by ip or mac address?  I can see if you want to configure this by subnet mapped to a certain ssid on the AP.  If you really looking for how to do this, I would post this on the route/switch forum.  I have never gone that far as per user.  Sorry.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card