Views
Helpful
Replies

Real Range of Aironet 1410 with 28 dBi antennas

igor.sotelo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have read the Cisco brochures, where the range of PtP Cisco Aironet 1400 equipment with optional parabolic dish 28 dBi antennas, is 19 (in one of them) or 21 (in another brochure) Km at 54 Mbps. That's around 12 and 13 miles, respectively.

We actually have Lucent devices with KarlNet software over 17.2 Km (like 11 miles) wireless WAN link operating at 11 Mbps, and would like to upragrade to newer 802.11a technology.

Has somebody tested the Cisco Aironet 1400 equipment in the field over 17.2 Km (11 miles) distances at 54 Mbps?

Regards,

Igor Sotelo.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abrahamj
Level 1
Level 1

I have 4-5.8GHz DS3 links, two of which are over 10 miles in length. Of the two, one is producing excellent reliabliity, one is not. I am using Proxim/WMUX radios with 3' Andrew dishes (35dB gain).

I would not attempt a 5.8G shot in excess of 10 miles unless I was in a relatively unpopulated area and I had good path clearance. Cell carriers use this range extensively for back haul and in areas densely populated or near major highways, you will eventually encounter interference. If, however, you are shooting across the desert floor in Nevada, you should be good to the stated maximum.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

abrahamj
Level 1
Level 1

I have 4-5.8GHz DS3 links, two of which are over 10 miles in length. Of the two, one is producing excellent reliabliity, one is not. I am using Proxim/WMUX radios with 3' Andrew dishes (35dB gain).

I would not attempt a 5.8G shot in excess of 10 miles unless I was in a relatively unpopulated area and I had good path clearance. Cell carriers use this range extensively for back haul and in areas densely populated or near major highways, you will eventually encounter interference. If, however, you are shooting across the desert floor in Nevada, you should be good to the stated maximum.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card