Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recomendations

Hello Dears,

there is a campus, and i need to make wireless survey, they want to cover with wireless connection their yard, streets near the buildings, some points too, so i have a question, they need indoor type of wireless access point ? or outdoor? as i know outdoor works only like bridge between two building for example,  im new in it, so i need your help, also if i will use indoor type ap, how can i protect them from rain and etc, also one question what is the maximum range of access point by default without any obstruction?

thank you

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are new to this job then I'd recommend you DON'T do the wireless site survey.  Get someone to pay for it.

Indoor or outdoor doesn't make a difference.  Before you make the decision about which one of the two, answer the most basic question first:  HOW will the WAPs outside be connected (network and power) back to the network?

If you can't run cable back to the network then you need outdoor WAP.

The next question is this:  Will you run 802.11n wireless network? 

leolaohoo,

yes we are planning to use 802.11n wireless network in campus, now i understood that there is no difference between outdoor and indoor, also we are planning to use ethernet cables with PoE to connect outdoor ap

Do you have a wireless LAN controller?

Yes we are planning to use it, i just want to know what is the best cisco access point for Campus enviroment, i mean outdoor

For WAPs you have the options of the following: 1040, 1140, 3500 & 3600

For controllers, I'd recommend the 5508. If you have a 6500 the check out WiSM2.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Here is my 2 cents... Take a look at the data sheet for an indoor ap and make sure you can keep that ap within the operating temperature. If not, then you either use an ap with external antenna connectors and you mount the indoor ap inside and run LMR cable to the antenna outside on the side of the building. If you don't get the coverage from that and you have to place an ap out in the middle somewhere, then use a mesh ap to cover those areas.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

johncaston_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kamran,

You can either use indoor APs like the 1262 and install external (outdoor) antenna, that way you can keep the AP inside.

You can also install the AP in an outdoor enclosure - Terrawave make a number of enclosures specifically for Cisco APs

The coverage will depend on the AP and antenna type - you also need to consider the number of clients and traffic throughput, so even though one AP might give you signal, you still might be better off installing additional APs to support the required number of clients

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

also i would like to know, what is the range of wireless signal with default configuration without any obstruction and interference

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card