cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended to upgrade WLC to software version 4.0.179.8?

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

I'm deploying a few WLC 4404-100 in a Mobility Group. They are installed with software version 4.0.155.5.

I understand that the latest version is 4.0.179.8. Is it recommended to upgrade the WLCs to this version?

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

11 Replies 11

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

Well, it's always advisable to read the release notes to see if any specific issues will affect you. However, I moved to it before it was released, and have been very happy with it. It helps with some Intel issues I was having, and a de-auth issue I ran into. This is an environment with many WiSMs and it has been reasonably stable.

Also, remember to upgrade your WCS to 4.0.81.0 if you are using WCS. That version was released at the same time as 4.0.179.8.

release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/prod_release_note09186a00807156db.html

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are not being hit by any of the closed issues in the 179.8 code, then no, I would not recommend upgrading to it.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi,

Why wouldn't you recommend upgrading to 4.0.179.8? Any specific reason?

Then, what's the best/most stable code to run? Version 4.0.155.5?

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

If your environment is currently running without issues, then it is sometimes best to stick with the version you have. However if this is a new deployment, I would recommend 4.0.179.8. I ran into several bugs in 155.5 which did not show up in testing. They started to show up once I had turned up more APs and allowed clients on the network. Currently I have about 600 APs working quite well on 4.0.179.8.

I too am curious what issues you have had with 179.8, so that I can keep an eye out for them.

Could you share some of the problems you observed?

The biggest one was the controllers deauthing users intermittantly without a valid reason. I don't have the bug ID handy, but it was wreaking havoc with our Intel clients, who would not re-connect after the deauth. This particular bug seemed to be made worse by having MFP enabled, so I subsequently disabled that as well.

The other general client flakyness issues we had with 155.5 could have been related to the above bug, but rather than spend too much time troubleshooting it, TAC gave me an engineering release prior to 179.8 that had several key fixes in it. That resolved most of our issues until 179.8 came out.

Hi Ethiel,

We are running on 4.0.155.5 and we are running into bug CSCsf27479 which causes controllers to reboot randomly. TAC said 4.0.179.8 is also exposed to this bug so we did not choose upgrade and we are waiting for the workaround from TAC. Did you see this problem in 155.5 and 179.8 in your environment? Thanks.

We haven't seen that yet. Does it seem to happen under any particular circumstances? I currently have 8 WiSMs running 179.8 here without seeing it *knocking on wood*.

Hi,

Thanks for all your good advice.

My case is a new deployment. Two WLC 4404-100 in a Mobility Group. The WLCs also have VPN modules installed. As per your recommendation, I'd upgrade it to version 4.0.179.8.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

Hi,

I'm having a WLC 4404-100 running software version 4.0.179.8. Doing functional test now.

Created a WLAN with 802.1x and WEP 104-bits.

My wireless card is 3Com 3CRWE62092B. Windows XP SP2. Associated to the Lightweight AP and passed my EAP PEAP-MSCHAPv2 authentication with a backend Microsoft domain controller.

The connection is fine. However, every about 15 minutes, XP prompts the username/password dialog box again. My connection is cut off until I re-authenticate.

I never faced this problem before using Odyssey client previously with a WLC running software version 155.5.

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

zhenningx:

Just in case you didn't see it, 4.0.179.11 was released today to fix the WiSM bug. I am loading it tonight on a trial WiSM before loading to all of them.

-Eric

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card