Views
Helpful
Replies

Recurring cost for wireless bridges

mohindersingh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We need to build a wireless bridge between two sites. Do we need to pay periodic cost to some vendor like we pay for private line for ex:- To block some frequescy to send our data

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

No, you can use any of the Cisco bridges because they use frequencies designated for public use. Once you've purchased the bridges, you are free to set them up anywhere you want at no additional cost.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5861/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps5279/index.html

Keep in mind that since these are public frequencies, everyone is using them so interference can be a major concern in some regions. You'll want to conduct a quick wireless survey using a spectrum analyzer to ensure that a particular frequency is clear.

The Cisco 1300 uses the 2.4GHz frequency range, which is far more crowded than the 5GHz frequency range. The Cisco 1400 uses the 5GHz range.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jeff

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

No, you can use any of the Cisco bridges because they use frequencies designated for public use. Once you've purchased the bridges, you are free to set them up anywhere you want at no additional cost.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5861/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps5279/index.html

Keep in mind that since these are public frequencies, everyone is using them so interference can be a major concern in some regions. You'll want to conduct a quick wireless survey using a spectrum analyzer to ensure that a particular frequency is clear.

The Cisco 1300 uses the 2.4GHz frequency range, which is far more crowded than the 5GHz frequency range. The Cisco 1400 uses the 5GHz range.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jeff

Jeff,

I am pretty new to wireless and I was going through this discussion. I thought you may be able to help me out here.

I am trying to design Video Surveillance Solutions for foot ball field. Here, we can not pull cable from cameras to MDF the building in Campus Environment. I am trying to incorporate Cisco bridges (Point to Multipoint Environment) in order carry data from cameras to MDF. For this solution I would like to have your advice as I am planning to deploy these bridges for the first time. I have some questions for you. Average distance between bridges will be 200-300 meters.

1.) I am planning to use Cisco 1410 bridges instead of 1310 bridges. Do you think Cisco 1310 series would be sufficient for my application? Please advice me on antenna selections on root and non-root bridges in case of 140 and also 1310. I would like to use external antenna specially omni for root bridge and sectoral antennas for non-root. Please advice me for the best selection.

2.) As Cisco bridging solution does not have LWAPP option. I was thinking of using WLSE for managing those bridges but I came to know that is on its EOL. Do we have any other option?

-Do we have to have separate appliance for WLSE? Can you advice me how should I order that? Please let me know how much bridges will be supported by WLSE (1 license)?

3.)I am thinking of using external antenna. I would like to use omnidirectional antenna for root bridge and sectoral antennas for non-root bridges. Please advice which antenna I should be using in case of 1410 and 1310 series.

Hi, sorry for the late response.

I can make this pretty easy and cheap for you. 200-300 meters is a very short distance for bridging applications, so using a 1310 with the internal antenna will provide more than enough of a signal to reach your MDF.

The 1410 is mostly used for metro environments and is very expensive compared to the 1310s. I would not use these unless there are already a lot of 2.4GHz bridges in use in the area.

Finally, I'm not sure I understand why you'll be deploying these point-to-multipoint. Are you planning to use one bridge per camera or something? I would recommend using a point-to-point bridge, and have the non-root bridge connect to a switch, then pull cabling to the cameras.

If for any other reason you need point-to-multipoint, you'll need to use a 1310 with an external omni antenna for the root bridge. An AIR-ANT2506 should suffice.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008022b11b.html

Finally, for management, a WLSE is a bit overkill for such a small deployment, and it's EOL as you say. I would not recommend this as a management solution. The best thing you can do is to tie in these bridges to whatever network management platform you use for your wired network. A simple ping monitor to the remote bridge(s) will keep you appraised of the link status.

I hope that helps!

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card