Helpful
Replies

regularly loss of AP configuration - H reap local vlan mapping

jan.diblik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

1. background

I have done upgrade 3x WLC 5500 + 4x WLC Wism from 7.0.220.0 to 7.0.240.0. I cannot upgrade WLC Wism more, because 7.0.240.0 is last support. We are using WCS for all WLCs (3x WLC 5500 + 4x WLC Wism).

2. description of problem

a lot of APs lost their configuration for local vlan mapping. There default value. I must repair it manually regularly. I have just problem with APs which are associated with WLC 5500. WLC Wism are ok.

3. some bug ID

CSCue75078 - 7.0.116.0 - opened

CSCub97882 - 7.0.220.0 - closed

have someone same problem? some idea how repair it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please make sure all ur wlans hv the same index number on all the wlcs.. If possible.. This mostly happens when the ap joins the other wlc n that may HV the Alan index number not matching the other wlc..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jan: is there any piece of config that you apply on the wlc regularly?
Some config changes may cause vlan mapping to disappear (you will usually get prompted for that before applying the config).

Regards,

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi Amjad, no regular changes. I realise that a change of AP group etc is resulting loss vlan mapping, but it is not my case. thanks

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please make sure all ur wlans hv the same index number on all the wlcs.. If possible.. This mostly happens when the ap joins the other wlc n that may HV the Alan index number not matching the other wlc..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi, here is an AP group ( configuration for wlan id + wlan SSID) on all controllers for an unit. You can see that

SOD-W-Majtorp has another wlan id for controllers 5500. I think that APs regularly try to rejoin to controllers because we have a lot of branches connected via WAN provider. Unfortunately WAN provider is sometimes unstable. Can you advice me how I can correct as soon as?  just scripting according Scott Fella (https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3959749#3959749) ? 

WLC_1-1 (Wism)

50 - SOD-W-Majtorp

3 - SODWLAN-EAP

32 - SOD-GUEST

WLC_1-2 (Wism)

50 - SOD-W-Majtorp

3 - SODWLAN-EAP

32 - SOD-GUEST

WLC_2-1 (Wism)

50 - SOD-W-Majtorp

3 - SODWLAN-EAP

32 - SOD-GUEST

WLC_2-2 (Wism)

50 - SOD-W-Majtorp

3 - SODWLAN-EAP

32 - SOD-GUEST

WLC_3-1 (5500)

44 - SOD-W-Majtorp

3 - SODWLAN-EAP

32 - SOD-GUEST

WLC_4-1 (5500)

nothing

WLC_5-1 (5500)

54 - SOD-W-Majtorp

3 - SODWLAN-EAP

32 - SOD-GUEST

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jan,

I provided an excel spreadsheet and a sample text file on this thread to help remediate the issue. You would build a set of commands that would set the WLAN to vlan mapping and you would enter the commands from the WLC CLI or a template on WCS/NCS/PI.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3959749#3959749

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

HI, very nice workaround. I am using CLI for checking VLAN mapping, but I corrected them via GUI.

The issue is if the AP joins another WLC in which the WLAN to interface doesn't match. This will force the FlexConnect to change its WLAN to vlan mapping to use that of the WLC is set to.

The best way is to either configure a WCS/NCS or Prime template to set these values everyday prior work hours or you issue the script to all AP's and be done with it. I uses to try to figure out which one has changed and it seems to take longer to solve the issue. When the issue has been detected, its better to issue the change on all the AP's rather than find which one has changed.

You can also maybe set AP authentication and only allow certain AP's to join certain WLC's using Mac filter list, but you will have to manage those filters. This works good too if you can manage that.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card