Views
Helpful
Replies

Regulartory domains

erickppp1
Level 1
Level 1

guys

what's the major difference between the regulator domains for access points?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps5861/product_data_sheet0900aecd80537b6a_ps10981_Products_Data_Sheet.html

For eg: if I use a N domain access point (mexico) in the US, I guess it'll work but it's not technically allowed by the FCC. Right? I'm trying to understand if there are certain channels which are used for different countries or if there's more to it

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the difference has to do with what channels are allowed, and what the max power for each channel is.

If you mix regulatory domains, the WLC will only use common power and channel combinations.

http://nostringsattachedshow.com/2012/02/02/multiple-country-codes-with-the-cisco-wlc/

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Steve is spot on .. Let me also add a real world example.

I had a customer with a mix of US and GB access points. I needed to add the GB domain to the WLC. After doing so, the GB access points wouldn't use channels in UNII3 .. So you can see you are limited by that country's domain and how Cisco protects that is by loading that domains config on the ap .

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card