Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing DHCP from WLC

luceroc
Level 4
Level 4

Hi folks,

I have a question regarding using a 3750 for a DHCP server. I have read thru the switching community forum and see many posts concerning a DHCP server an how to configure and the use of multiple vlans, etc... I was wondering if anybody out there might be running or have customers that might have already used this in their environment.

Why: I have two 5508 WLC controllers in my DMZ that are running DHCP services along with anchoring guest services. I want to remove the DHCP services from the controllers and place them on a 3750 in the DMZ. I usually have over 12,000 DHCP leases (6k per WLC) per day. My question is do you think that a 3850 can RELIABILITY run as a DHCP server and serve out over 12k addresses daily?   My options are to run this on an existing 3750 stack currently running in the DMZ servicing our devices in the DMZ or my other thought was to run this on a standalone 3750 with no traffic and just a “DHCP server”.

Other suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

I usually have over 12,000 DHCP leases (6k per WLC) per day. My question is do you think that a 3850 can RELIABILITY run as a DHCP server and serve out over 12k addresses daily? 

I do not think so, if you have this sort of volume prefer having a dedicated DHCP server ? How is the DHCP given to wired client of this customer ? If they use seperate DHCP server for them, then use the same for wireless as well.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Ok thanks for the guidance.  I use an internal MS server for my internal wired/wireless clients. I was really trying to eliminate the need to punch holes thru my firewall to my internal Microsoft DHCP server to hand out addresses to my "guest" devices. Wanted to build "no-inside what-so-ever" type of system for these guest devices.  Maybe just a paranoia issue on my part.  But all that to say that I'm probably looking to build a separate server for the DMZ if I want to maintain that secure zone. 

Regards

Yes, then that is the ideal solution specially if you have large volume like 12k guest usage. That will keep your security policy intact.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card