Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Replacing 1242 AP's with 3502i's with a heavier load of clients - what's the limitation?

Hi there! 

We currently have a deployment of 1242AG's and have had several issues with users connecting on this wireless infrastructure.  We plan to remove the 1242's and put 3502i's in place.  Along with this, we are also deploying a multitude of wireless devices.  What I was wondering is how many active clients can a 3502i handle without the client device feeling a significant slowdown?

The type of clients are:

Wireless IP Phones running over "A"

These are running over "b/g/n"

Tablets

Smart Phones

Laptops

Wedge Scanners

Types of encryption:  WEP, WPA2, WPA2 with 802.1x, OPEN

Two 5508 controllers with AP's using CAPWAP

Again, my concern is the number of clients attaching to the AP's and still having a very good connection - especially the phones. 

Let's add a little fuel to the fire -- the tablets and laptops have to be able to stream media cleanly.

Again, What I was wondering is how many active clients can a 3502i handle without the client device feeling a significant slowdown?

Thank you,

Lois

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Replacing 1242 AP's with 3502i's with a heavier load of clie

You will get many different answers her and I course it will come down to really knowing the bandwidth that will be required. The big difference is the gigabit port on the 3500 compared to the 1242. You can look at different formulas for over subscription to determine how many uses per AP based off a gigabit connection.

I have seen streaming fail after 7+ devices due to the codec being used. But I have also seen 15+ devices streaming multicast video with goo reliability.

Here is a link for high density deployment that gives good examples.

http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/docs/education/cisco_wlan_design_guide.pdf

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Replacing 1242 AP's with 3502i's with a heavier load of clients

The only thing I see not mentioned in this is QoS. Make sure you are marking your traffic accordingly over the AIR and on the WIRED. In case you do run into congestion, voice and video are handled accordingly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Replacing 1242 AP's with 3502i's with a heavier load of clients

Get a wireless site survey done.  Channel interferrence can significantly disturb video or voice wireless propagation.

Views
Helpful
Replies