Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing Exisiting Access Points

auttamchandani
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have 2 Access Points in the organization I am employed for I am supposed to maintain the WLAN infrastructure and secure it to the best of ability.

We currently have a D-Link D1-714P+ and an aged Roam About, the D-Link using WPA TKIP and the Roam About using WEP (Can't support any higher). The ranges of the APs are quite limited and terrible.

Basically each AP has to be managed separately in every aspect. I have been investigating Cisco's Unified Architecture and I like the idea.

I am considering purchasing two Cisco APS probley the 1200 Series, once they can support the latest encryption along with VPN and RADIUS support.

My requirements for the APS are basically:

802.11 A, B, G

WPA, WPA2, TKIP, AES

VLAN

RADIUS

With regards to centralize and manage the two AP's I would be using the Wireless Control System, I am abit dumbfound on this.. Is this software that can be purchased to maintain the security, performance, logging and management of both APS? Or is this a new piece of equipment?

Basically, like in a Windows 2003 Active Directory Environment you have users/passwords setup to authenticate with the domain controller, I'd like a similar setup with my Access Points, instead of just using one plain old key for everyone, is this possible?

Excuse my ignorance...

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

Access points are controlled and configure by Controllers in Centralized architecture. Controllers are in turn manged by Wireless Control system. WCS is basically a mangement system for centralized wireless infracture. Refer URL

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/products_qanda_item0900aecd802570dc.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: