cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing Intermec with Cisco

mheidemann
Level 1
Level 1

I have a requirement to replace Intermec root access points with Cisco equipment. Im wondering if it's possible to use the existing Intermec access points (2102) as workgroup bridges while using Cisco 1200's as root access points? Does anyone have experience with this? Im having problems getting the end devices (HP Jet Direct boxes) to appear on the network when I replace the Intermec root access point with a Cisco 1200.

4 Replies 4

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you see the wireless clients are associated with AP1200?

Here is the url for configuring the AP1200.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo1200/accsspts/ap120scg/index.htm

Forgot to mention, I think Intermec AP will not work as Bridge..

Yes I do see the Intermec AP's associated and authenticated on the Cisco 1200, but there is no activity between the Jet Direct box and the Intermec AP. The 2 are connected via a cross-over cabe.

I know for a fact that the Intermec access points can be used as a bridge, as they are currently working as a bridge, but only when I have an Intermec root access point. When I am using The Intermec AP's as root access points, I simply set the root to a "master" and the bridges as a "station", enable wireless hops, and this works no problem.

I don't believe it's gonna work. The reason is that 802.11 only handles the RF relation between RF nodes (i.e. AP with AP, MU to AP or repeater to Root AP). In your case, you are expecting interoperability at a higher level than 802.11, between the Bridging functionality of 2 different vendors.

Since the "distant bridging" functionality is not part of 802.11 standard, this functionality is typically proprietary. This involves the repeater to associate with a root, even from another vendor (802.11), but the 2 AP's/bridges can't talk to each other at a higher level because they both don't talk/use the same language/protocol (proprietary). As far as Bridging, the link has to be homogenous as far as the vendor.

Interoperability still needs to be extended...

Guy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: