cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset my 4402 controller and none of my APs reassociated

jlunsford
Level 1
Level 1

We are just setting up a new Wireless network at our new campus. We have 1131AG WAPs, a 4402-25 Controller, and WCS. The wireless has been working for several weeks, and today I was adding several new APs for a new area of the campus. Anyways, long story short, all the APs were working and I decided to save the config on the controller and reboot it. It came back on-line, but none of the APs reassociated. I tried restarting some of them, but that didn't help. All the settings look the same, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

s.jankowski
Level 4
Level 4

Looks like the configuration did not get saved on the controller. What is the version running on the Wireless LAN controlelr. Can you upgrade the controller to the latest version available and try reconfiguring the controller. Then save the configuration.

Darren Ramsey
Level 4
Level 4

What did you find out about this? I have seen similar issues. The AP console says something like "no more AP manager licenses available" on my 4402-25. Sometimes the AP will not LWAPP Join to the WLC.

bhbachman
Level 1
Level 1

Had you set the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller fields on each of the APs associated to that controller before rebooting? You need to put the name of the controller they are to attach to in those fields, not the IP.

If they won't hook you could set a DNS entry for cisco-lwapp-controller and point it to the controller for them to connect.

Another option of course is the DHCP Option 43 so they get the list of controllers when they get their DHCP assigned IP.

I actually ended up calling the TAC on this one. When I was first setting the controller up I had issues with some of the AP not associating with the controller. My local Cisco SE told me that I needed to set my LWAPP Transport Mode to Layer 2. Which I did, and they came on-line.

Later I reset the controller and none of the APs came on-line. After I posted here I also called the TAC. The fellow I talked to there said that I had to set that to Layer 3. When I did that they all came back on-line. He said that they shouldn't have worked with Layer 2.

I never did get a good answer as to whether it should be layer 2 or layer 3, and what the exact differences where. The documentation isn't the greatest help either.

Layer 2 would generally only be used when all the APs are on the same VLAN as the controller.

Generally if you are using a Layer 3 routed network and your APs are on a net other than the one where the controller resides you want to run the controllers in Layer 3 mode.

If you use a DNS or DHCP pointer to get the APs to the controllers the first time everything should work.

We do VLAN tagging on the Management and AP Manager interfaces as well as all Dynamic interfaces for the clients.

The interesting thing is that the Australian guy I spoke with at the TAC said that my APs wouldn't support Layer 2. I've been getting quite a bit of conflicting info.

Everything seems to be working really well now. The only major problem I had was the association. I really like the system. I'm going to go take a class at Ascolta in May for the system. Hopefully it will clear up any things that I'm still fuzzy on.

If the AP's support VLAN's (which they do), then I would think they support layer 2. Sounds like another TAC person that knows very little about the Airespace product line. You are also right about the documentation being lacking in content. I have had to do alot of troubleshooting myself to fiqure things out on the controllers I have installed. Let us know what you end up finding out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: